Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a new front tire (Dunlop Gold Seal 130/90 B16 67H) online. I have received it and it looks new, but there is a slight crack that travels the circumference of the tire where the rim is supposed to go on. The crack is not deep at all, barely on the surface, but it's on both sides of the tire, and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with that sort of thing. Is it normal for an older tire to carry that kind of mark? Or is this just a simple case of return to sender? Thanks everyone for your time.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

What is the date code on the tire?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think this tire was made in the 18th week of 1995, i.e. M21185. Then again, it could be the 18th week of 1985 for all I know.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200TX wrote:
I think this tire was made in the 11th week of 1985.
I didn't think they had the date code in 1985. But if you're right - it's time to drop those tires back to where you bought 'em. (unless you like the idea of 20+ year old tires.)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It looks like prior to 2000 the date codes on tires read WWY-week week year, but there's no way to tell which decade you're dealing with. So 185 would be the 18th week of either 1985 or 1995, and even in the lesser case, I'm still dealing with a 13 year old tire.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for your help rgbeard. If you hadn't said something, I honestly wouldn't have even known to look for a date code on the tire.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

ANY CRACKS-IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!I WOULD NOT PUT A CRACKED TIRE ON A BICYCLE.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Crack is no good as already presumed, but the number is not the date code. They never used date codes with numbers preceding them so elsewhere there is either a 3 digit or 4 digit number. Yes they used date codes well back at least to the early 80s, probably even into the 70s but that was before safetycrats and we didn't know about the number and what it meant.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The best tires are the tires made yesterday.

The first day after a tire is made is the first day it becomes harder. Eventually, it becomes a rock.

I never trust any tires on a used bike that I did not buy.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

oinoyou,

I2nd this. It isn't worth your life.

Nightrider1

oinoyou wrote:
ANY CRACKS-IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!I WOULD NOT PUT A CRACKED TIRE ON A BICYCLE.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

curious, where did you buy these tires anyway?
Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thank you all for the responses. The tire was a seller on ebay who had several other motorcycle items for sale. Other than sending me a tire that wanted to be the death of me, he has been low hassle about sending it back for a refund. It cost me some time, but I know where to look for date codes and how to read them now.

Once again, thanks for the input and concern.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

you'll probably read this a million times throughout the forum but tires is one thing you don't want to be cheap on:)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.