Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My front tyre has been loosing air over a 2-3 week period and was almost flat at one point after not using it for a short period.

lost about 6 psi in less than a week.

It had a new K177 fitted last year and only a few thousand miles done since.

This morning I put pressure unto 50psi and went round the whole rim, valve, tyre with soapy water.

Could not find a thing to explain loss of air.

Next I was going to remove tyre and take it too garage so they can submerge whole wheel.

Any thoughts or bright ideas before i do this ?

thanks

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Robin ... if you have an OEM air valve, try flexing it a little bit, while soaking the area around it with soapy water. More often than not, they begin to tear and leak but are hard to detect, unless moving it around a bit, which simulates actual usage. That's why I switched type/make of air valve.

If that's not it, I suspect that the bead area of the inner rim wasn't cleaned before installation of new tire, .... barring any puncture in the tire itself. :?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Nail in tread, still in there = slow leak..

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem, i looked and looked and could not find the leak, tried soapy water,new valve core, wiggled the stem, no luck.

Finally modified a plastic tub to submerge part of the tire and rim under water and wa la !!! found 3 very, very small trickles of smaaaal trickle of bubbles at the bead. Will have to remove the tire at some point and hopefully get it sealed.

Good Luck Jim

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Cant see any nail.

Yes its an OEM valve and stem, it was new last year but worth a wiggle to see if its that.

I put loads of soapy water around the rim, to see leak there, nothing.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thats horrible stuff. :-(

When I changed tyre it had slime inside wheel which had gone rancid.

(fitted by previous owner).

I use dyno beads for balance which so far have worked very well (no beads stuck in valve, I have checked ).

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Robin- As i said i tried the soapy water and bubble blower stuff ( use to use it to fing propane leaks ) and not untill i submerger the tire and rim did i find the leak, and even then they are very small and hard to see.

Jim

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Jim

Will give that a go, I have a sneaking feeling about the rim bead.

Just need to find a big bucket :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Check the valve stem Core... confirming that it is tight.

Also, since the core's sometimes leak, it is good insurance to use a valve stem Cap that has an O-ring inside it, to stop any leakage from the valve core.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi Alex,

thanks, I put in a new core first time I noticed it was going down, I will recheck how tight it is.

Getting stem caps with o rings in always seems to be a problem, reminds me to order some more off ebay.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Are you using Dynabeads to balance the tire?... many people have experienced leaks, resulting from the beads residing in the valve stem, causing it to not fully seal.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

yes I am using dyne beads and have made sure the valve core is bead free, no air is coming out of valve.

I am going to have to remove wheel and put in water as next stage to see where its leaking from.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

My tire never goes flat, but it seems to love about 30PSI LOL

I air up to 42PSI and sometime later it's at about 30PSI.
Only seems to leak down when sitting.

I let the wing sit about a week, checked air to go for a ride, 40PSI

Never have found any bubbles but I have not taken the wheel off for a bath yet either.
Long as I air up before riding (if needed) tire does not loose the air till it sits at least over night or longer.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

usually the shop will just swap em out and dont give a [email protected]#@#$
how gummed or crusty the rim is...you or who? needs to do this task personally once and a while to detail and clean the rim up good or this fun issue can plague you thru the life of the rim.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Soapy water doesn't always find a leak but submersion will.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Agree as found zip with soapy water, wheel is coming off in a few days to do just that.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i've found that windex will find a small leak quicker than soapy water

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

A wheelbarrow works good to put water in.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Robin ... if you have an OEM air valve, try flexing it a little bit, while soaking the area around it with soapy water. More often than not, they begin to tear and leak but are hard to detect, unless moving it around a bit, which simulates actual usage. That's why I switched type/make of air valve.

If that's not it, I suspect that the bead area of the inner rim wasn't cleaned before installation of new tire, .... barring any puncture in the tire itself. :?

Grambo Wrote:
usually the shop will just swap em out and dont give a [email protected]#@#$
how gummed or crusty the rim is...you or who? needs to do this task personally once and a while to detail and clean the rim up good or this fun issue can plague you thru the life of the rim.

That's why whenever I change mine, or anyone else's tire, I always scrub/clean the inner lip of the rim, where it makes contact with the tire's bead.

The insides of my rims are cleaner than the outsides! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.