Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone removed a front universal joint in an 85 Aspy by jacking up the swingarm instead of removing it.Thanks.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's a good idea. Levering up the back wheel with the help of a friend might give you th eextra space needed to free the joint.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
Has anyone removed a front universal joint in an 85 Aspy by jacking up the swingarm instead of removing it.Thanks.
TJ859, I'm not sure on the 85 but on the 86 all you have to do is pull the rear wheel & final drive, then the prop shaft & front U-Joint just slides out the rear of the tube. I just greased my 86 1200splines a while ago & it took about1-1/2 hours total.

I do know the 1100 & earlier need to have the swing arm removed but just not sure when the change was made on the 1200.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I've alsways found the real pain is getting it all back together. If you pull the rear end remember to get a new seal that actually goes on the drive shaft drive shaft or it will leak when you put it bact together.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

yes it seems to take 3 hands, a lot of swearing and grunting, but it does finally go in.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey Chicken Wing1200 no I don't know if it will work on the 84 I know I couldn't quite get it out on my 85 had to remove the swing arm.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Like TJ859 says. 85 won't clear the flat indentation, where the tire clears the swingarm. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

when I took my engine out to change the stator, I used a couple of 12" tyre irons as leverage against the torque spring and the U/J came away easily, Although it was a differant matter putting it together again!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.