Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have my front tire ready to install. I am goping to replace the brake pads. And like every other project I do I start wondering what else needs to be replaced. I checked the one manual I have I just says check to see if the are smooth. How often should front wheel bearings be replaced? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That was my answer too. Everytime you pull the front tire, inspect the bearings to make sure they spin smoothly and you don't feel any grinding.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

That's a really good question. And I don't know of a propper answer. Oh sure the manual has a recommended time/miles remark, but who knows??? I re-did mine before attending NASSIR this year. But in all honesty, the fromt wheel seemed to spin more freely before the bearing change.

I want to say that the bearings were changed at least once before I did them at 75K, as the rear side was not sealed. Almost all "RS" style bearings are sealed on both sides, compared to the factory single-side sealed style.

Several of the more savy members here talk of replacing wheel bearings with every second tire replacement. I just don't know... With propper lubrication and installation I don't see why a bearing shouldn't last 20/25K miles.

I would advise you to remove the rubber seals on the bearing an re-pack them with a good quality bearing grease and then to re-install the seals before replacing the bearings. In my instance the wheel,(with old bearings), did spin freer before I changed the bearings.

On my wing all the bearings, front/rear wheel, were only sealed on the outer side of the wheel. The new bearings were sealed on bothe sides. I know, I'm repetitive and anal sometimes, just trying to get a point across.

I would think that 20/30K miles was time enough to replace the bearings. The replacements aren't that hard to find or costly enough to put-off changing compared to a new wheel... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My bike only has 34,000 miles. Still all original. Only filters & tires changed. I am replacing brake pads. And I thuink just as a precaution I will do the front bearings. I was going to buy a new 1800. But I think I have decided to just keep the 1500. So that is why all the little precaution upgrades.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Hey Ghost Rider 2, There are no set standards to replacing a bearing unless you are doing a "money no object" maintenance. Feel of the bearing as you turn it with you fingers, do you feel any bumps, clicks or binding. If not I would clean it out with clean solvent and apply new grease, Don't pack the bearing full of grase because this will cause friction and shorten the life of the bearing. Most of all if you think it needs to be changed and it is in your means to do so then install a new one. That way you know where you stand.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

The older bearings probably had some wear to them, slightly more free play and less resistance, allowing them to spin faster. Bearings are cheap enough that I replace them when changing a tire.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

My Daily rider has over 160,000 miles on original bearings. I do not know if they are a different style than the ones on the 1500?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

They are too Dang cheap not to replace them. If there is ever a doubt, chuck em. I mean, what's the alternative, hey I do have enough for a Starbucks coffee, but your front wheel bearing locked up on the way to the Coffee Shop.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I worked in a steel mill where bearings were measured in millions of tons of steel rolled and under conditions that would be considered horrendous compared to what our wheel bearings are subject to.
I will change mine when they are worn.
I am running 215,000k on the original bearings. My Chev S10 went to meet it's maker at 350,000k with the original bearings, the truck rested away but the bearings were good.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

Put a new tire on the front of my bike and at the time the bearings felt fine. Less than a month later bearing on speedo side went out. Bearings are only $10.99 from Honda and the seals are a few dollars. Do it while you have the wheel already off. It is cheap insurance that will keep your bike off of its centerstand and on the road.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

So there you go, Ghost Rider 2. Anywhere from hundreds of thousands of miles to every time you change your front tire. Typically what happens when you ask any type of PM question, from so many diverse members. Bottom line, when YOU are comfortable. :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Take your pick, replace them as often as you feel you need to for peace of mind. Each time I replace a tire I check the bearings by hand. So far the original bearings on my 1500 have run 126,000 miles and still have no play and feel smooth. As long as they don't show any wear I'll leave them in. There's always the chance of getting a bad new bearing or unknowingly damagin one during installation so unless the bearing shows some wear I keep them doing what they do best.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I check by feel - the main culprit that damages wheel bearings seems to be pressure washing. I know it's tempting to remove that black crud and dust but I've seen guys blast high pressure water for several minutes at a time. Sure way to need new ones every tire change!

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well I just got back from JC Whitney. I had to pick up brake pads. I bought a set of bearings. I will probibly just put them on the shelf. But I wanted them here just in case. 1500 should be back on the ground and ready to go this afternnon.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Yes change them when you pull the wheel out gives you peace of mind 6004 2RS two off is what you need watch out plenty of cheap ones about so go for good make SKF etc.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

That bearing at JC Whitney $4.99 ea

·
Premium Member
62,988 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you ever changed wheel bearings in your car.. That should give you a clue........

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Some of you must be paranoid, unlucky.. or maybe I am extremely lucky... I have neverreplaced a wheel bearing... ever.. highest mileage on any one vehicle was 170,000but now at 60,000 I figuremy GL1100 is hardly boken-in... What are you guys doing, fording rivers?? off-road in mud??? 300 mph on the salt flats???

Okay.. I remembered one instance.. I replaced the wheel bearings on a 1953 tractor once

And exavid jogged my memory again.. add a couple of boat trailers that were regularly dipped in the Pacific Ocean...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.