Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got back from a 150 mile trip yesterday and was cleaning up the Wing when I discovered a small amount of play in the front wheel bearings. My first thought was to replace them but was wondering if just re-packing them would tighten them up?

When I bought the bike it was showing 54K on the speedometer but I've allways had this nagging feeling that the speedometer was rolled back. The foam in the seat was crushed and other things pointed to much higher mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

On a motorcycle you should feel no play at all. I'd replace the bearings as they are easy enough to do. You probably already know how easy it is to "correct" the mileage on a GL1200 and GL1500.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hey BRowan,

I'm heading down to the Goldwing store this morning to get the bearings. I just got a new/used front fender rail off of Ebay and will put it on while the wheel is off.

I assumed the speedo roll back was possible, but had not really check it out.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brian's got it right, these are ball bearings, not taper bearings so there's no adjustment possible, it you can feel, or hear any noise from them or if there's any play at all they're toast.

I don't believe it's likely the speedometer was turned back, the price of one of these bikes is really pretty well determined by condition and age. It might make a difference on a late model, but on an older bike it just doesn't make all that much difference. Might be one of the previous owners was a large person (like a HD rider).

Just joking guys, I know we have one or two HD owners here. :skipping:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Finished up installing the new bearings and seals this evening. All went well and everything is go for a early morning test drive. On the last couple of rides I noticed that it seemed a little touchy. You know, a little sensitive to hold a straight line. Seemed to want to wander abit. Hope the new bearings cure that.

The new $16 front fender rail is on and is looking good. You just gotta love that Ebay.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
The new $16 front fender rail is on and is looking good. You just gotta love that Ebay.
I've had good luck on eBay. Just got a brand new speedometer cable for $10. Now the speedo doesn't get jumpy below 35mph. If only I'd remembered to change that blasted OD bulb while I was in there.!

:gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
If only I'd remembered to change that blasted OD bulb while I was in there.!

:gunhead:
Hey exavid :waving:Dont annoy yourself so much. :whip: You can change the OD bulb 2moro. :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey exavid :waving:Dont annoy yourself so much. :whip: You can change the OD bulb 2moro. :whip:
You know, I'm going to have to now, can't stand looking at it.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:

I just got two exhaust manifold pipes (chrome still good) for $9.99 each and a set of rear shocks for $41.00. The boots on the shocks are torn up but the chrome is decent. The chrome on my existing shocks is shot but the boots are good. Beats the hell out of ordering newshocks from Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

[

Just joking guys, I know we have one or two HD owners here. :skipping:
[/quote]

was it my avatar that gave it away?... but I am the origianl owner of a '78 and '86 wing too

rodger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.