Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Take it off, leave the hose attached and pump the brake to push the piston out then remove the seal and clean out the gunk in the seal groove.

·
Registered
1980 Goldwing - Standard
93 Posts
Hi Mastercyclinder,

I have an 80' Glodwing Standard (original owner). I'd say every year my brakes start to drag on me. One time my rear brake caliber really froze on me. I took the caliber off and inserted high air pressure into the bleed valve. I'd apply the pressure causing jerking moments. It took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes (maybe even longer!) but I got the piston free. I wiped it down with a clean rag as well as the caliber sleeve too. I emery cloth the piston and sleeve. I put a coat of brake fluid on both parts. You have to be careful not to **** the piston while inserting into the sleeve. I used a large "c" clamp and wood to press the cylinder in. If it doesn't seem right start over.

I good friend taught me a good trick to prevent piston lock up. Every year I take my calipers off. Don't disconnect the lines and don't let the piston pop out. . Remove the dust cover. Take a tooth brush and brush off all the crud around the sleeve entrance. Then put about 1 drop of brake fluid around the sleeve where the piston enters. Do this once a year or every 2 years and you'll never have the problem again.

Good Luck,
Colin
(7 miles west of Boston)

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
You have to be careful not to **** the piston while inserting into the sleeve. I used a large "c" clamp and wood to press the cylinder in. If it doesn't seem right start over.
If you get the seal groove and the bore clean you can push the piston in by hand.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,417 Posts
Why the motorcycles have this problem? My Honda car has almost 300K miles on it. I have never changed the brake fluid or added any. It works as it always did. And that pretty normal around the cars.
Thought the recall has solved that issue. Maybe it did.
I had a Hyundai long ago that locked the rotor. The problem was the hydraulic hose connected to the caliper.

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Why the motorcycles have this problem? My Honda car has almost 300K miles on it. I have never changed the brake fluid or added any. It works as it always did.
Because it has 300, 000 miles on it & hasn't been sitting much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Because it has 300, 000 miles on it & hasn't been sitting much.
This reminds me, when i was employed in an auto repair shop, besides doing brake pad and shoe R&R`s, the shop owner recommended fluid replacement every three years, because, brake fluid is Hydroscopic, it absorbs water vapor, thru rusted steel lines. Probably not a big deal in the drier areas of the US, i don't know. Replacing brakes can be a real chore in some vehicles, like VW`s where the lines run thru the unit body "frame rails". And in older American cars and trucks because car manufacturer's liked to use "unions" between short lengths of line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts