Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, call me crazy first. Im having a problem with the rear caliper on my 85 Interstate. It seems when I try to ride below 32 deg F that my rear brake acts more like a parking brake. If you tap on it a little it will free up. And it seems if you let it sit there and run, that hot pipe seems to thaw it. Last night I had it at work, pulled the caliper and cleaned as much of the pistons that we could. Put it back together and bled it. Brakes worked great. Its was around 38 degs. Just got home and went out to check and see if I would be attending the polarbear run tomorrow and rear brake locked up. Its now 25 degs. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Dirt, rust and when did you flush the lines last and replace with new? Old fluid does retain moisture and maybe it's (fluid) starting to get mushy at lower temps.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

yeah, get the pistons all the way out and clean it up. When got my Interstate there must have been a teaspoon of West Texas inside the caliper behind the pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If heat seems to help it work. I would bleed the entire line out including the front right disc. there has to be moisture in there.,,

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my 83 interstate, brake dragging when cold. Brakes were supposedly rebuilt just before I got it. There was corrosion under the seals in the groove of the caliper. Cleaned it out and all good.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

make sure the floating pin/rod is not coroded. It alows the caliper to move back and forth and may be sticking. I have seen this oncages alot.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure sounds like water in the brake fluid to me. Put the bike in a warm place to make sure it's all well above freezing and flush the system a couple times with fresh fluid. That will probably keep things freed up but if you have enough water in the system to freeze it's likely that there's some corrosion there too and a rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

OK I'm a wuss. What the hell ya wana' ride in 25* temps for? Never mind, I just realised you're younger than my son. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Sure sounds like moisture to me. Winter is a fine time for a clean-up, new seals and some fresh DOT-4.

Maybe we can meet-up when it's about 35* warmer... :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Some of us do, I was out in 24F weather a couple of weeks ago. As long as there's no ice on the road it's not unpleasant though I could use better gloves.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Shooter wrote:
OK I'm a wuss. What the hell ya wana' ride in 25* temps for? Never mind, I just realised you're younger than my son. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Sure sounds like moisture to me. Winter is a fine time for a clean-up, new seals and some fresh DOT-4.

Maybe we can meet-up when it's about 35* warmer... :gunhead:
I was waiting for someone to tell me Im crazy. lol! I actually rode it to work Monday. It was 27. Thanks for all the info! Looks like I have to do what I thought I had to do. Everyone verified that for me.

Hey Shooter, I will be out in the morning! Its supposed to make it to 35 tomorrow! Oh, maybe I read that wrong....you meant 35 degs warmer..... not 35 degrees!

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul, I watched you eat a piece of "BLEEDING COW" in Calhoun, come on down and ride with this guy will you. It should be nice and cool by the time you arive...:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Now c'mon Shooter, just 'cause a fine piece of steer ispurple in the middle doesn't mean it's bleeding, just oozing a bit. :cooldevil:

I don't need to go anywhere for cool riding we got it here.:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.