Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck screws, sheared off screws, stripped out screw heads, UGH! The list goes on and on! Trying to rebuild the carbs on my 85 Aspy and am at a standstill currently. The bottom screws holding carbs 1 and 3 will not budge! I've tried the BINGO method in Howard's maint manual to no effect. Starting to strip the heads. The last straw was on carb 2 (I went ahead and started the cleaning on 2 & 4 because I was able to remove those!) when I tried to remove the pilot screw. Yep, my gorilla strength stripped that one too! All of this is happening AFTER a good soaking of PB Blaster. My question to you all is, can I go ahead and complete the carb rebuild without pulling this one pilot screw (have not tried the others yet) or is this carb hosed?:confused:

After getting a little sleep I think I will try to drill out the pilot screw and order another one. Off to work first!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmmm..

I've never heard of the carbs being so much trouble. Wow.

Be careful when you drill out the pilot screw, the threads are only about 1/4" long, if you go in much further than that, you run the risk of drilling and disconnecting the lower part of the pilot screw. I'd put some tape on the drill bit to act as a depth guage so you don't go in too deep. Without the bit spinning, put the bit into the hole, then wrap some tape on the bit, about 1/4" up from the top of the hole. Then when you drill, watch the tape, once it is even with the top of the hole, you're done.

As for the screws.. Are you taking about the two big screws inside the airbox that hold the carbs onto the airbox? Do you have an impact driver? It's a handheld screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. It's used to remove and tighten those tough screws.

Good luck.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Use the factory screw drivers supplied in your factory tool kit.
Anything requiring what we know as a standard #3 Phillips, when used instead of the Honda-supplied JIS drivers, will almost certainly bugger the heads of those Honda screws every time as the fluting is not correctly matched.
Better "luck" can be had on #2 screws with our regular drivers but they are not JIS drivers either.

If you don't have a factory tool kit and want to continue working on your bike, I suggest you get one.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
If you get your carbs off successfully try soaking them in 50-50 Pine sol over night, I done that to mine and they came out real clean. and maybe you would fair out better with a hammer screw driver on those other screws.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts
Try some heat. An old crock pot filled with antifreeze works great. When the gas dries, it leaves a gummy residue that acts like glue. Heat will loosen it and make it easier to clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.