Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have decided to sell my 1981 Goldwing Interstate in favor of something smaller and newer that I don't need to give as much TLC. In the interest of full disclosure, here is what I know about this bike:

The Good:
  • Still running well at 75,300 miles
  • New battery at around 71,000 miles
  • Rebuilt forks at around 71,000
  • Rebuilt all brake calipers and changed brake fluid at around 71,000
  • Cut out the Molex connecter by the battery and bike charges fine
  • Replaced timing belts at around 71,000
  • Adjusted valves around 71,000
  • Oil filter adapter for screw on filters
  • Extra aftermarket seat with backrest (I'm not sure of the brand, it came with the bike. I am using a stock seat at the moment.)
  • Larger touring screen
  • New gel grips
  • Throttle lock
  • New waterpump around 73,000
  • New choke cable around 73,000
  • Replaced starter around 73,000
  • Replaced Oil Shifter Seal around 73,000
The Bad:
  • The front master brake reservior has a leak that I haven't located. It is very slow but apparent. A replacement would be in order.
  • The throttle isn't as smooth as it should be. I purchased new push/pull cables but have not installed them.
  • The paint is faded in spots. The paint around the right hand controls and cover for missing electronics is ruined by the leaking brake reservior. But its not on the plastic fairing. Damage is isolated to the paint on the right hand controls and cover where an accessory would go.
  • The lights on the lightbar do not work.
  • The radio does not work.
I would not hesitate to take this bike on a long trip as-is. It is, however, a 28 year old bike so it does deserve some attention, which I just do not have time to provide without a garage and a new child on the way. I want to use the proceeds for something smaller and newer so I can satisfy the riding bug once in awhile and work on in my shed if need be.

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. The bike is located near Winchester, VA. I am asking $2,300 OBO.

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

**BUMP**

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

**BUMP**

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

vabikeguy wrote:
I see this all the time, and please go easy on me but what does it mean?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bump

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

PM sent

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I think I resolved the issue with the front master cylinder. Now I just need to repaint the cover that was affected. Fortunately, no fairings were damaged from brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Would you be interested in parting out the running light bar. I have been looking for one all winter,found 1 and got out bid on it.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Nice looking bike reasonably priced. Too bad I am not in the market. Have you tried Craigslist?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Wheelmaster: Sorry, my intent was to sell the entire bike all at once.

Whiskerfish: I have. I got a few hits, but nothing materialized. The ad ran during the coldest winter months. When I run the ad in the spring, I'm sure that more people will be interested.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

How ironic. I found an 83 out in a guy's pasture in MD last year, fixed the carbs and ride it all the time. Just moved from Winchester (off 522 south) to KY a couple months ago.

Keep at it, should sell here once the weather warms up.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

BUMP

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

BUMP