Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

with most of the ethanol based fuels we are forced to use, sometimes unknowingly... it sure won't hurt.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I used to use 2 stroke oil at a 100:1 ratio in my old VW bugs that were designed for leaded gas, to help lubricate the valves. I never had any problem doing this, nothing ever clogged up. I used 2 stroke marine oil, which I bought by the gallon. It was dirt cheap.

Small amounts of 2 stroke oil will NOT harm an old 4 stroke engine. I have run 50:1 weed eater premix in a 4 stroke lawn mower many times without any problems. Just don't put it in any late model emissions controlled car engine (I don't have any of those) It can plug up the catcon and damage sensors.

I would not use it in an 1800 Goldwing either, for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I've got a number of 2.6 ounce containers of 2 cycle oil that I use for my weed wacker. Thinking about pouring half of one in a full tank of fuel in my 1986 GL1200 Aspencade. I feel that it can only help.

Harold

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) works very well also. I can hear the difference in valve train noise when I give the bike a healthy 2 count dollop*. I've never had one problem using this and worse case is where you put that dollop* in at your house and then fire the bike up at the gas station after fueling up. Smoke sometimes.:cheeky1:

Hobie

*Metric glugs equal a dollop.:ssshh:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm going to give it a try, don't know if it will do any good or not but the fuel is getting half of a 2.6 ounch can this afternoon. I just fueled up so im ready to go. Got to look into checking the timing belt also. No telling how long it has been since it was changed if ever. Don't even know where to look on the bike for it. :)

Harold

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Harold, if you go to the trouble of taking it apart far enough to check,you shouldreplace while you are in there. The belts are not too expensive and you already have the hard part done.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) works very well also.
After reading the thread I don't think he's disputing the effectiveness of MMO or Seafoam. It sounds like his point is that the TC-W3 does the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

I'm going to try it.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Found the info on the timing belt in my Service Manual. If and when the heat ever subsides I'll be checking it out. Upper 90's here in Ocala right now.

Harold

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Jaymom wrote:
Found the info on the timing belt in my Service Manual. If and when the heat ever subsides I'll be checking it out. Upper 90's here in Ocala right now.

Harold
Helpful hint: Loosen the radiator nuts as far as possible before trying to remove the timing belt cover nuts. By pulling the rad forward as much as possible you get more room to work in there. Unless, of course, you have very long skinny fingers. :D

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Lawrence. Haven't even looked at how it's done yet except to check the radiator for damage.

Harold

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well I tossed some 2 stoke oil in the wifes jeep, see if there's any noticeable improvements later.

Unfortunately she never checks the gas mileage so unless it changes dramatically it's just a guess. But I'll know if it starts running better, idle better, or start better.

I'll toss 1oz in the 88 1500 and see what it does, I been getting 37.? constantly now normal riding, or less if I hammer it or run hard but I don't do that much.

Last tank was 37.8mpg, 37.5 mpg tank before that, so if I break into the 40mpg range I'll know, I have never hit 40mpg yet on the 1500

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I put some in today with my fill up and am keeping an ounce ready for next fill up. We'll see. I was in the shed and thought what kind of oil is that I bought for the johnny-rude that I never use and son of a gun it was Pennzoil premium tcw3.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Hobie1 wrote:
Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) works very well also.
After reading the thread I don't think he's disputing the effectiveness of MMO or Seafoam. It sounds like his point is that the TC-W3 does the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

I'm going to try it.
I read the entire 50 pages of the thread on TC-W3 2 cycle oil last night.

Some things I already knew and found a couple new things also.

First make sure the 2Cycle oil is TC-W3 type oil, NOT just any 2stoke oil
TC-W3 is ashless and has cleaning additives. Does not matter what brand, as long as it meets or exceeds TC-W3 specs
mix only 1oz with 4-5 gallons of gas. Not enough to hurt anything or make anything smoke, but it's enough to clean the fuel system and keep everything lubricated.
The cleaning additives in TC-W3 help clean the carbs or injectors, valves, seats, stems, pistons, rings, and the ring grooves etc... any place the fuel travels.
Also the oil lubricates everything where the fuel travels.

Just OIL will not clean anything, and many products are just chemical cleaners and do not lubricate anything.
We all know that keeping things clean and lubed makes them seal better and wear less.

As for mileage gains some claim, I can see where many people could get a little more millage.
If the engine is dirty, rings and valves sticking a bit or gunk not letting them seal fully, then the engine is not operating properly and will get less MPG. Fix those problems and the engine will gain MPG when it starts operating properly of course.
Also anytime we can remove friction and let things work more freely it takes less energy, keeping the cylinder walls, valve stems, etc... better lubed may remove a little friction as well as wear less.

I think that thread about using TC-W3 2 cycle oil was primarily concerned with keeping engine clean and less wear on critical parts for a better running engine. Gas millage was not the primary focus though many claimed to have got better millage. Some only .5mpg better and some claimed up around 2-3mpg better.

As always, have to wade through some junk posts also.
One person said he was skeptical when his friend was telling him about it, so his friend pulled the valve cover and showed him how clean the engine was LOL
Anyone that know the least little thing about 4 stroke engines like cars should know NOTHING from the fuel system goes under the valve cover LOL
If the top of the head and valve cover was super clean, that was crankcase oil that kept it clean, not any fuel treatment LOL

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Well said Chromo.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Maybe he added some TC W3 to the crankcase too.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well, I ran about 250 miles today or a bit more.
I tossed in about 1.5oz at home, rode about 25 miles, got a gal of gas, road about 30 miles got another gal of gas.
I felt something seem to change out on the road!
Running about 65mph I seemed to get a bit smoother feel between gas stops.

I took off from the second gas stop and ran mostly about 65mph to the north. I say mostly because I had to keep looking down at speedo and slowing back down LOL
I don't know, the 1500 just seemed to want to run at 70mph so easy today, felt like I should have been doing 65 LOL

I was going to do a fill up and ride some miles then check MPG, but I saw DARK clouds to my left when I stopped 125miles from home and turned around.

On way home I had lighting close off to my right and saw I was riding into the storm, so end of testing for today LOL
I stopped to fill up about 40 miles from home, the storm hit while I was there, put on wet suit and got hammered with rain about 20 mile till I rode out of it, but now home it's hitting here now.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Chromo, you got me hooked. I am going to add some today and see what happens. I have it here already for my outboards so its not a big deal. I know it can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Has anyone else tried this yet on the forum, or are you all waiting to hear my results?

I got something to say about it now after my ride today of about 300 miles or so!

Does anyone want to know?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I would like to know

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.