Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How many of you use a fuel additive and if so which one?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I use the Seafoam, and it's good stuff...but it's not a miracle in a can...It's light, aromatic hydrocarbons that can dislodge "gunk"...and it's a good fuel stabilizer..but it will not cure mechanical problems....My apologies, but I just won't drink the kool-aid..

·
Administrator
26,323 Posts
imported post

If you use quality fuel, brand name not high octane, you don't need any additives unless you are going to store the bike for several months.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Seafoam works wonders in my 85I. Just this weekend when I got ready to change the oil, I bought seafoam at the same time.

Put 6 ounces in the gas tank, the first dose in a couple months. 4 ounces in the oil and rode the bike for about 10 miles to get warmed up good.

Then changed the oil. Might sound funny, but I think it sounds quiter and shifts a little smoother.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have never used any additives in my fuel - ever. I have had no problems and I'm at 120,000 miles. (knock on wood) I use low octane regular and will use higher octane if I'm carring a load, wife and overnight items.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

A regular hit of Seafoam, twice a year. No need for anything else. Gas doesn't tend to sit very long in my tank.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

A couple of capfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) every now and then. I used to do it every tankful for thousands of miles but as was mentioned, isn't really necessary.

Still, my ol' '83 runs like a sewing machine. If........I could ever see the pavement again......weather in mid-west Illinois sucks right now.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

One good squirt (two capfuls) of Marvel Mystery oil every other tank, an ounce of Seafoam every two or three tanks.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I have used Seafoam and felt my engine ran a little quieter afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Nothing. I do not like the thought of using anyadditives in my engines, transmissions, fuel system, or hydraulic components unless it is already in the container.

I have already rebuilt the carbs, replaced my fuel tank, and replaced filters/screens, so I would like to think my system is clean. Also, it is warm enough here tokeepmy bike running to prevent thegas from stagnating.

On all my other engines, if I suspect a fuel problem, it is easy enough to take the carb apart, check the bowl, or give it a shot of carb cleaner. 1-5minutes and it's apart and I know the condition.

If I were to develop a problem on the wing, Iprobably would useseafoamsincethe carbs can not be readily taken apart. But, Iwould not use it religiously. If you do, it is either a waste ormasking a true carb problem that requires true maintenance, IMO. Some may call it PM.

What fuel additives are approved to beused with AVGAS? And, how often is an airplane recip carb to be taken apart for regular scheduled maintenance?

Can Seafoam be used in A/C, why or why not?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

the only additive for AVGAS or Jet A that I know of is Prist which is an anti icing additive.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

That's correct. The other Prist (or in the old days) was used as a anti-fugal additive for jet fuel. I think it was good for AVGAS too.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Irecently ran 4 oz of Seafoam in my crankcase & rode for about an hour before doing the winter oil change. Put another 4 oz to preserve my fuel & to clean out the fuel system on days when the snow thaws.

Next oil change will be 90 days from last one regardless of mileage. The Seafoam in oil & fuel at the next 90 day interval.

Same in my SUV, old Shadow, & lawn tractor. The old F-150 gets an annual oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.