Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. just wondering if anyone has info on this tool, is it necessary to use in snycing carbs on a g1100, the tool is listed to fit a 1982 gl1100;

[align=center]

[/align]

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

That is for adjusting the idle mixture. Sync can be done with an 8mm wrench and screwdriver although it's a bit hard to get to the lock nut on the adjuster with a wrench. I made a tool out of an 8mm deep socket with a handle welded on it and the screwdriver goes down through the socket.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

The tool works good for the idle mixture but we had to hack saw off about a quarter inch of the sleeve end for it to fit between the engine and the idle screw.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

very good idea i was already thinking about doing just that.save 20 buck's from the honda store.

DaveO430 wrote:
That is for adjusting the idle mixture. Sync can be done with an 8mm wrench and screwdriver although it's a bit hard to get to the lock nut on the adjuster with a wrench. I made a tool out of an 8mm deep socket with a handle welded on it and the screwdriver goes down through the socket.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

so it is needed to adjust the idle mixture, i have a 83 asp motor in a 80 gl1100 standard, same carb's that was with the bike. had it running tonight for about 1/2 hr
trying to adjust the clutch proper.
thank's for your reply

Wichita Scorpion wrote:
The tool works good for the idle mixture but we had to hack saw off about a quarter inch of the sleeve end for it to fit between the engine and the idle screw.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I brazed a socket to the end of a short piece of steel tube then added a 4" piece of rod on the top end of the tube as a handle. I ground down a small screwdriver blade to fit down through the tube so now I can stick my home made tool on to the locknuts of the carb linkage, drop the screwdriver down through the tube and make the adjustments. I used to use a wrench and screwdriver which was good enough but not as quick and handy. One thing to remember adjusting the sync, and the rocker lash as well, is to keep the lock snug enough to add drag to the screw as you turn it. That will prevent much change in position when you tighten the nut.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

only one problem with me i went and special ordered one today so i have to buy it. i'll make one just to make it
planned on syncing my carb's tomorrow, my RPM needle is jumping all over the place..

exavid wrote:
Yep, I brazed a socket to the end of a short piece of steel tube then added a 4" piece of rod on the top end of the tube as a handle. I ground down a small screwdriver blade to fit down through the tube so now I can stick my home made tool on to the locknuts of the carb linkage, drop the screwdriver down through the tube and make the adjustments. I used to use a wrench and screwdriver which was good enough but not as quick and handy. One thing to remember adjusting the sync, and the rocker lash as well, is to keep the lock snug enough to add drag to the screw as you turn it. That will prevent much change in position when you tighten the nut.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

Just to be clear:

The tool you show in your link is only used to adjust the idle mixture. It turns that hard to get at screw that sticks down below the carb bowls.

The tool that people have made is to adjust the synchronization of the carbs. It allows you to tighten the 8mm locknut while still having your small screwdriver holding the screw still.

Apologies if that is what you knew all along.

You will find the Whitney tool very useful though a little bit of a pain to use on the front 2 carbs. I have one.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thank's yes i have everything clear,
no need to apologize i have been know to get thing's wrong
part of the human thinggy..

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't have access to brazing/welding equipment so I had to improvise.

I took an 8mm long socket & drilled it out to 1/4" down its length. This didn't affect the bottom 8mm part that fits over the nut.

Then found a nut that was a tight fit over the top end of the socket. Put JB Weld on the threads of the nut & using my vise as a press, forced the nut fully onto the top of the socket.

There is not a lot of torque required to tighten the carb synch nuts so it should be up to the job.

I can now get a reasonably sized screwdriver down the socket to hold the screw steady while I tighten the nut with this tool.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's the point of it all, making something that does the job with what's on hand.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

correct. and you feel good about doing the job more cause it's something invented on your own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.