Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had my Oldwing about a week now and have been concentrating on the mechanical aspects of it........they seem to be getting better with the exception of a steady skip at part throttle. I've used the carb cleaner that Yamaha puts out and I think it's gotten me to the point I'm at. From 1/4 throttle to wao it doesn't flinch.......just steady climbing, it won't idle very good and when it does it knocks or rattles. I've read that the primary chain is the culprit here. I'm wondering now if that skipping at part throttle might be spark or spark plug related since it runs so good past the skipping. The Oldwing sat for a year so I knew there would be some issues with it but if I can avoid the carb rebuild I'd like to.

One more thing, my fuel gage and temp gage do not work, checked fuses and they are good, what do I do next?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

You don't say what year but I had the same problems with my 75 that sat for 13 yrs. Marvel Mystry oil used in the gas will help the carbs a lot. I tore into the carbs before and was scared and put them back together. Now I am rebuilding them after riding all summer and they actually look brand new inside!! As far as the "deisel" clatter if its real load look at the timing belts. You should change them anyway> I didnt and paid the price. If they are not installed correctly, One side can be 180 out of time. The bike will run pretty good but sound bad at idle. I actually made this mistake. As far as the guages, there is a 7 volt regulator that probally is the problem. There might be a special place for people saving old old wings (a looney bin) LOL have fun.

Bill

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I've added the Marvel Mystery oil to it, may get another bottle and run it through another tank. Each ride seems to be improving the performance.

Timing belts? Might be a good thing to check them out.
The bike is an 81 with 34000 on it

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Definately get the belts changed. Age, not mileage is the issue here. You can buy Gates belts(Gates 5119/T274 I believe)for less than Honda's and they work just fine.

Hobie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.