Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I went to fill up the bike today (getting ready to store it for the winter) and I noticed fuel around the gas cap area. I didn't see any obvious areas where the leak was coming from. Before I start tearing things apart has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Probably the Fuel Shutoff Valve/Petcock, shown at the top of your photo.

To verify, you may by-pass it by connecting the Output line (from the valve) directly to the fuel filter... run the bike... if the leak is gone, then the problem was with the valve.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

My first guess would be the fuel pump right there in front of the cap. Start it up and take the cap off so you can see the pump better and watch close for dripping. A flashlight would be a big help.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's what I thought at first (shutoff valve). I already have the rebuild kit for it somewhere in my garage. I'll probably tackle it next spring as the bike will be in a million pieces (timing belt change, coolant change, replace air filter, fork fluid flush, etc etc etc.......)

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

A bad seal on the filler cap will also slosh fuel up onto the tray.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I am always slopping gas around when refueling. Someone before me left quite a bit of gas in the hose before me, and comes out when I place gas nozzle in my gas tank, or when i pull gas nozzle away myself. As long as the vacuum fuel shut off valve holds a good vacuum, I have never figured out how the valve could leak gas. Maybe the screws that hold valve together need tightening? Overfilling gas tank could also do it.

Tom Bishop

`98 S.E.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Probably the Fuel Shutoff Valve/Petcock, shown at the top of your photo.

To verify, you may by-pass it by connecting the Output line (from the valve) directly to the fuel filter... run the bike... if the leak is gone, then the problem was with the valve.
+1

JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.