Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Last time I rebuilt a vacuum fuel shut off valve I was having difficulty getting new diaghpram to lay flat so it would seal.. I put a little Permatex in the groove on valve to hold diaghpram. Check that valve holds a seal before putting it back on bike.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Two longest screws in lower two holes also go through bracket, bracket held to overflow tray by screw underneath. Takes me a shortened P-2 bit in a 1/4" ratchet wrench to get them two loose, then can lift up and get top ones easier. three parts at most to replace, one is a spring, easy to do without undoing fuel hoses. Screws do not need be super tight. Put pieces together & hold between thumb and finger as insert screws. Removing gas cap gives you room, saran wrap and a rubber band will catch dropped screws. Below is how I notched the bracket to ease removal.
AFV bracket mod.jpg
You know how to bypass the AFV if need be in emergency?
Just a note, I moved my filter to under rear of seat and put a ball type shut off valve in it's place, lets me run carbs dry with no pulling vacuum lines.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also make sure the vacuum line is in good shape. With it being an 89, it could have cracks that you may not be able to see. A lot of the lines on my 88 were this way.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Two longest screws in lower two holes also go through bracket, bracket held to overflow tray by screw underneath. Takes me a shortened P-2 bit in a 1/4" ratchet wrench to get them two loose, then can lift up and get top ones easier. three parts at most to replace, one is a spring, easy to do without undoing fuel hoses. Screws do not need be super tight. Put pieces together & hold between thumb and finger as insert screws. Removing gas cap gives you room, saran wrap and a rubber band will catch dropped screws. Below is how I notched the bracket to ease removal.
View attachment 321980
You know how to bypass the AFV if need be in emergency?
Just a note, I moved my filter to under rear of seat and put a ball type shut off valve in it's place, lets me run carbs dry with no pulling vacuum lines.
Actually … once removed from the bracket by removing lowest two screws, you can service the AFV with fuel lines attached in place ... and then just let the fuel lines hold it in place, maybe add a zip tie through the bracket looped over the AFV if you wish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts