Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the tank holds 6.6 gallons but I have never put more than 5.5 gallons in it. Today I got 234 miles out of 5.5 gallons which figures to be about 43 MPG. I guess my question is, how far have you gone once the fuel light comes on? If my math is correct I could go around 280 -300 miles on a tankful but I'm afraid to push it that far. Is there a reserve?

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
I fill up at the first opportunity after the light comes on. Once went about 275 miles and it held 6.5 gallons so it was just in time. The reserve is that last 1.1 gallons after the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have ridden 40 miles after my fuel light came on. I was pulling my trailer with a gas can on the back waiting for it to run out of gas. I chickened out, I figured I would find gas within 40 miles of that light coming on, so I added the gas in the trailer.

As a side not. I have added hand wings, Wind wings, Leg wings and a 4+ windscreen and pulling a trailer mostly loaded, I see no difference in fuel mileage....... It's only been a few tanks since the addition but I thought the added drag would have had a drastic effect on economy.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Any harm to running out? I know in a previous Ford Taurus when we ran out of gas one time it ate my fuel pump. (Ford uses/used? a fuel pump that was lubricated by the fuel flowing through it. Run out of gas and it destroyed the fuel pump - guaranteed.)

I know it's bad from the perspective of crap possibly getting sucked out of the bottom of the tank, but is there another danger to the GW system?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1.1 gallon reserve. Perfect. I don't plan on pushing past the point of the light coming on but It's good to know I have the cushion.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
67,720 Posts
Out of stupidity, I knew I could save 10 cents a gallon in the next town, I went 262 miles and put in 6.4.. I won't do that again.. Can you imagine how hard it would to push one of these things............

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
Any harm to running out? I know in a previous Ford Taurus when we ran out of gas one time it ate my fuel pump. (Ford uses/used? a fuel pump that was lubricated by the fuel flowing through it. Run out of gas and it destroyed the fuel pump - guaranteed.)

I know it's bad from the perspective of crap possibly getting sucked out of the bottom of the tank, but is there another danger to the GW system?

I believe it is bad for the pump to run dry but since Honda car fuel pumps seldom ever fail and I know several of them have ran out of fuel probably on more than one occasion and I figure the 1800 pump is just as good it probably can take it but why chance it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.