Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Fuel coming from where it should not be...

693 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
I was trying to start my 85 aspedcade 1200A last week. I picked up a new battery, and new fuel pump. Installed both and tried to crank her up after a 4 year hibernation.
I got plenty of spark, but no fuel making it to the cylinders. (I forgot to connect a fuel line when I first cranked it and fuel shot out) - so I assume the new fuel pump is ok.
After a round of cranking the starter, I put the battery back on the charger.

QUESTION: Went back out and, just for the heck of it, I removed the screw shown in the picture.
Fuel came squirting out for a good 2 seconds! I know it shouldn't be in there!!
Why was it in there, what would cause that?

For starters, I've ordered my carb rebuild kit from Randakk's already. I hope to start that next week.
Could I have another issue too?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fuel coming out of there = Leaky float valve. The carburetor runneth over and filled up the intake and cylinder. You'll need to take your sparkplugs out, put a rag over the sparkplug holes and crank it over a little to clear out excess fuel. Probably won't crank with plugs in, engine would be hydrolocked.

If the fuel tank is full (level of fuel in tank higher than the carburetor bowls) fuel can gravity-feed without the pump running. This is why it's a good idea to turn the fuel petcock valve to "off" when not running the engine.

Randakk is your friend. Kit probably doesn't include needles and seats, but with care the ones you have should clean up nicely. Be sure the little spring loaded metal buttons on the opposite end of the needle valve from the rubber tip move freely.

Reactions: GoldwingRookie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.