Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought my first wing and i am only getting 130 miles from full tank to when the light comes on i am wondering if this is normal

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i will try to keep the revs down and see what happens if i go to low with the revs i get a cough in the air box and then it pulls away ok i have readin the manual that this is ok.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

That sure sounds like very poor fuel mileage. Check the air filter, spark plugs. Run some Seafoam in the fuel. Possible carb sync required. Oil and filter change. Running shoes instead of work boots. lol. I'd think 40 miles per gallon is a good figure to aim for. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
That sure sounds like very poor fuel mileage. Check the air filter, spark plugs. Run some Seafoam in the fuel. Possible carb sync required. Oil and filter change. Running shoes instead of work boots. lol. I'd think 40 miles per gallon is a good figure to aim for. Tony:waving:
He can't run Seafoam in it we can't get it over here :(

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Can't get seafoam. Now that just sucks. There must be something equivalent over the pond.:?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I regularly get 42-45/Imperial gallon and occasionally 49/50 when I keep the revs down to the 2000/2500 rpm range on the back roads.(4.2 gallon for 192 miles before stopping to fill up)

As with any vehicle, make sure it is in good tune with new air filter/spark plugs and less/easier twisting on the throttle, to maximize your gas mileage. I like to up-shift around the 2-3k rpm mark.

I have gotten as little as 85 miles to a tank, but we won't discuss how fast I was travelling then. :gunhead:

Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I have gotten as little as 85 miles to a tank, but we won't discuss how fast I was travelling then. :gunhead:

Dusty
Hmmmm,,,,,,,, me thinks there has been some sort of record set.

Lets see who can get the "Least" fuel mileage :dude:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Just been for another ride and filled up with Shell V Power rode really conservatively and covered 50 milesthe needle is just coming of the full line so hopefully by changing my riding style i will get better fuel economy i hope so other wise it is going to be an expensive tour around Spain in the summer :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I average 40 miles to a gallon,But i am riding 2 uo most all times.

When i am alone i get slightly better

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Just a note. I have a 96SE with 40,000 miles. Most of my riding is two up. Our best mpg is around 36 if we are curising easy. If we do major highway speeds we average about 33. We do have a very large windshield, two inches wider and two inches taller than stock. It did average around 37 on a trip we took two years ago but at that time I was running Tulsa tall windshield.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

i get 28-30mpg. just found my back brake is dragging quite a bit so am ordering a rebuild kit for the rear. hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

That sounds just wrong to me..i hope my 1200 does better than the 1500's do..If not I may just have to keep driving my old truck..It gets close to the last set of numbers..

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

Dusty
Hmmmm,,,,,,,, me thinks there has been some sort of record set.

Lets see who can get the "Least" fuel mileage :dude:
He's got me beat. I may have gotten as low as 23-25 mpg, but I was having way too much fun with the throttle.

I typically average around33 mpg, and I as high as 46 on a slow boring ride which is very seldom.

Welcom to the forum, and ride safely.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

2up pulling a trailer we are getting 40 +/- :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

My old girl gets 40+ on the highway at around 70 ( if I behave ). Bike is lighter than the new bigger bikes, but does have fairing & lowers. I just use 87 octane. No advantage to using higher octane with 9.2 compression.

As for Sea Foam you can mix your own. Do a search on the site, I read it somewhere here what was in it.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

would this not depend on where the fuel light is set to come on? Having had several 1500s now find the early ones tend to set the fuel light off around the 130 mile mark but have covered 40 miles before refilling without problem. my last 2000 model seamed to complete more before the light came on but wether this was because of greater mpg i do not know? The earlier one is more spirited due to the lower gearing. at 70 mph my 88 model is doing 500 rpm more in top than my friends 1991 and my previous 2000 model. on motorways i feel i can do with another gear but when we complete an over take manover my friend complains that he has to complete a down change. Any way whos really woried about the mpg when you have such a big smile on your face? if she is running smooth and pulling well shes probably OK!
Derek

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

My '94 gl1500 averaged out 33.5 mpg, day in and day out.

My average mph was about 75 though. At 85 and up, she drank fuel at about 27 mpg.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

My 92 GL1500 gets about 34 commuting, and 35 on long trips.:X Tune ups, Sea Foam, and different grades of gas do not change the specs. Perhaps if I dropped my belt size from 44 to 36 would change things, but the rides would not be as fun:shock:.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

As has already been suggested get her serviced and drive with a little restraint. I have a 91SE and usually get to 160 before I look for a petrol station and as far as I know the reserve holds a gallon so I would still have about 35-40 miles left in the tank but i dont like going into reserve if I can aviod it.

E

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.