Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Pertains to 1999 GL1500SE with about 15K miles on her. I haven't taken the girl out for a couple weeks. When I tried to start her this morning, she was slightly difficult to start. Choked her and we did just fine and took off on our ride. I stopped at a store and when I came out to start up again, she acted a little funny starting but started and off we went. When I came home there was a small puddle of fuel on the floor from the earlier start. Closer inspection proved that at idle I get a small stream of fuel from 1 of the tubes just under the right foot peg (not the fuel tray tube on the left side!). The tube does not have a number on it. It's the larger of the two that go up towards the control module. Additionally, just got back from a 3,000 mile trip where I had no choice but to use ethanol gas guite a few times. Damn stuff! My bike is very sensitive to ethanol and runs like crap. When I get her back on pure regular she straightens out. Also, had an emgo fuel filter in her for about 5K miles....didn't know they were screwed up. That item has been rectified. Anyway, any guess as to what is causing the fuel to drain off at idle???

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a stuck float. Maybe you gan get in and tap the carb to free it up. Remember, using a 5 pound sledge is not considered "tapping". :gunhead:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Put the bike on the center stand start the engine and remove the vacuum line from the petcock and let the engine run out of gas then reconnect the line or better still just as the engine is about to die reconnect it this will allow the float to fall into its full open position and the rush of fresh gas will slap it shut , if the bike is left on the side stand for long periods the floats can stick as they lie against the carb walls and just slip out of center on the pin that holds them

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks to you both, it was the float! The vacuum hose saved a lot of disassembly to get to the carbs. Thanks for the work around! I had left the bike on its side stand because of unlevel ground. Lesson learned! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Geez and I was wanting to know what would happen if he did use the 5 pound hammer...shucks!!!!

:ROFL:

Glad you got it fixed !!

Ride Safely Always!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.