Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just rebuilt the troublesome fuel petcock. I took my time and had no interruptions so it went well. I couldn't figure out why it was leaking because there the old one looked fine. While I had the Tupperware off I inspected the air filter, sprayed some throttle body cleaner down the carbs and replaced the fuel filter with the Napa brand. It was a tight fit and noticed the PO had the old filter installed the wrong direction. The arrow was pointing toward the tank not the petcock.

It ran just fine but did it filter out any crud while it was installed wrong?

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Backward it will hold less dirt and has a chance of the paper coming loose from the end but filters the same either way.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Fuel filter , fuel filter, fuel filter , what a difference since the last filter. The gas filter was new 2months ago but I've been giving her a few treatments of sea-foam and the filter became almost clogged from the crap released by the SeaFoam I just replaced the Honda filter with a Napa 3003 fuel filter. Easy Squesy! This big girl is running like a raped Ape!!:raspberry:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Just curious, you had all that 'crap' in the gas tank? What did it look like? What do you think it is?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the fuel filter on my `98 S.E. because it felt like it was lacking fuel at higher speeds pulling a trailer. Vacuum fuel shut off valve checked out fine. No vacuum leaks. Fuel filter only had around 20K on it, but had some kind of dark liquid in it. After getting filter out I tried blowing air through it. At first I couldn`t get air to go through, but with enough air pressure something finnaly broke loose and shot out the other end. Filter only had around 20K on it. I only use Honda fuel filters, and never tried Seafoam. Bike always ran fine. I ride 15 to 20K a year. No rust in gas tank.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Fuel filters are cheap.
I just replace them on an annual basis "just cause" that's me.

I also run Sea Foam most of the time, again, "that's just me".

This bike I have now ran purty good when I bought it in March of last year down in Tampa, FL. But "purty good" was not the way "it should".

The continual application of Sea Foam and not a darn thing else has just about fixed the old girl up. I have been noticing the last few weeks that the idle is now back down to 750-800 where it belongs. And while idling, if I add more fuel with the "choke" it immediately started chugging "too rich", which it is. Back off the "choke" and it idles smooth again w/o any surging.

Sea Foam is my continual companion, or I should say my girl's companion. She really loves the stuff.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Kind of a rusty, sandy kind of residue Predator

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
Kind of a rusty, sandy kind of residue Predator
Well, whatever caused that, I hope the seafoam cleans it out completely. I'd runseafoam til the filter stays clean if that is what seems to be breaking it up. Read up on the back threads on using that TC-W3 oil in your fuel, maybe after it clears up a little oil may coat whatever is causing that. I use it, seems to help.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.