Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

1982 interstate 79,000 miles its overdue for a fuel filter change. I purchased the bikea few months ago and am trying to get it ready for spring.I have gotten a long list of things completed so far.Many with help from the GURU's and others - thanks! Anybody have some tips on putting this on. Its aawful tight working area. I appreciate any and all ideas.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Turn off the fuel petcock, and run the bike till the lines are dry. Lot less mess to deal with then. Also, this is a good time to have offset screwdrivers, or use hose clamps with hex-heads rather than screw heads so your ratchet can hit them. Other than that, some good old fashioned child labor may come in handy. (Small hands :D)

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

On the 1200,s I remove the fuel lines on pump and petcock and pull the whole works out. Yep they are a blank to get to. And on the 1200s, (Im not sure about the 1100s, but should bethe same) the fuel line has to be the proper diameter. I used 3/8 line and it leaked and sucked air into the pump and starved for fuel.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Thats the same thing I do Dave,gives you a chance to have a good look at those fuel lines also.Ive been using an aftermarket fuel filter,the orignal mother honda part was around 10 or 12(I think) bucks over here in Canada,the one I bought was like 2 dollars,At that price,its a yearly spring time start up change.Nothing worse that a dirty fuel filter stopping you on the side of the road.......My 2 cents worth..........Bob

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

55 degrees and sunny - unbelievable. I took your advice - sure made it a lot easier. I could not believe how dirty the old one was. While I had it apart I used "Seafoam" and it now idles smooth asold whats her name cheek. Great forum.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

On a related note - were I to replace the fuel lines, what exactly do I ask for? Any certain size, grade, etc.? How many feet?

Thanks!

Jack

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Low pressure fuel line (not injector hose) 1/4" diameter (6.3 mm I think) and be VERY careful when cutting it to not allow rubber bits inside the hoses that can wreck a fuel pump. Use the old wire clamps, not "worm clamps" that can leak. Get 3 feet of hose. Best to use a metal cased fuel filter if not using the original as the original is reinforced body.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Yeah, and when cutting the hose it's better to use a sharp utility blade instead of a hacksaw or pliers. Less chance of getting bits of rubber in with a sharp blade.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Some of the cheapo fuel filters drain the fuel back to the tank, instead of keeping the filter full. Just thought I'd point that out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.