Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a pic of an OEM filter, installed in April 2009 and just changed with over 22K miles on it. Always used 10% ethanol.

The black bits are pieces of the petcock, I think.

I know many have found the aftermarket filters falling apart when opened. This one is solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I think OEM is the best for quality and fit, I just have a hard time shelling out the $20.00 or so when you can use this one ( the large). I am running this one now , fits right and no paper inside. I bought the first one from Cresentmoon cycles and the info was on the wrapper.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection1.asp?Product=9875

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

What do you mean, "no paper inside"? What filter media do they use?

For others reading this. That filter won't fit '87 and newer with [suP]5[/suP]/[suB]16[/suB]" fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Inline Fuel Filter, Plastic, 1/4" Push-On Fittings
These inline plastic fuel filters have a fine mesh smooth nylon element which allows fuel to pass through with less restrictions than filters using paper or wire mesh. We carry three units to choose from including a large filter, (3.75" long) a small filter, (2.125" long) and a Walbro style filter.

It is for the GL 1000 and GL1100

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sounds interesting enough. Can you open one up and get a pic? Do you know the O.D.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I just installed this one. It is new.( so I don't want to cut it open , I will when I change it, that will be a while) I don't know the exact O.D. but laying it next to the OEM the size is the same. And it fits the stock bracket , unlike the napa 3011.

here is a shot of one like it Mine is the same inside ( you can look in the inlet)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Probably just fine, andprobably Crescentmoon would not lead you astray, but just about anytime media is described as "less restriction" it also means larger particle/pore size... and that is a big dealwith the 1100 carbs... but certainly better than a paper filter that comes apart..

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I agree that OEM is the best, but, i also agree with scotterichmond, the NAPA filter fit my 1200 fine and i'm sure will give me good service and at $3 each, i can change it once a year for many years for the price of OEM.

Jim

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I hear ya, Dennis.

Below is a series of shots taken of the 'Infamous' Emgo fuel filter from my 1500, taken apart after some 50,000mi.

Yes, there was a section of the paper element that had 'ruptured', but it hadn't 'dissolved' like many others were reporting. :stumped: :baffling:

I replaced it with an OEM filter @ 3 X the cost of the Emgo

Cut the endofthe housingoff .....

The ruptured section .......

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Dusty- I think we all agree that the EMgO filters had a "BIG " problem and have abandoned/removed them . At least i hope so !!!

Jim

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

The EMGO filter on mine, looked much like Dusty's also. I replaced it with the NAPA-3003 filter. It is much larger and does not fit the holder,,,,, but it sits nicely without any trouble under the shelter.

I have 3 EMGO filters on the shelf right now. I might use them on the lawn mower. And then I won't leave them on for too long.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dusty, I now have your fingerprints on file! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

SanDiegoBrass makes a good point about "less restrictive" filters. That's a decent looking replacement filter. I'm not sure if it will filter out the really small stuff and that's a hard one to assess. Can't argue with Dennis' pic. The EMGO I tried ended up looking like Dusty's too. I've got a NAPA installed and it's due for a change. I've got an OEM filter that I forgot I had put up. Around this neck of the woods, with tax, they're probably closer to $30. Make a helluva stocking stuffer though.:thumbsup:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Thanks Dusty, I now have your fingerprints on file! :cheeky1::cheeky1:
They were already on file as I was 'Bonded' for my line or work ... when I was working. :ROFL:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.