Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
not talking about the ratio of tach vs speedometer, those are mechanically linked and fixed.

you made it sound like the tach will not change vs the actual GPS speed. and it will, it has to.
the tach is linked to the tranny output shaft via the gearsets.

the diameter of the tire is going to change that ratio.

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts

you made it sound like the tach will not change vs the actual GPS speed. and it will, it has to.
the tach is linked to the tranny output shaft via the gearsets.

the diameter of the tire is going to change that ratio.

Sorry I didn't mean it to sound that way, I apologize sincerely and have edited the word speed to speedometer, is that good enough?

Trust me, I do know how it works.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Seems like both of you are saying the same thing. If the bike is slower than the speedometer at say 3K RPM then with a taller tire at the same RPM/speedometer the bike is going a bit faster or closer to the speedometer reading. Isn't it????>:)

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
Seems like both of you are saying the same thing. If the bike is slower than the speedometer at say 3K RPM then with a taller tire at the same RPM/speedometer the bike is going a bit faster or closer to the speedometer reading. Isn't it????>:)

Yes it is. John has the idea somehow that I have a different understanding of it.

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
nah,
I was just trying to pointt out the language, should have gone to PMs and let you take care of it.....

when it comes to taking care of my bike, it is Dave who does it..... :)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow what a wealth of information from people on this site you guys are awesome I have learned a lot from y'all Thank you all for all the help.

I had about 120 miles on it at 1/2 tank I just didn't want what happened when I was bring it home to happen again and was getting nervous so I stopped and filled it up. I gonna wait until I'm closer to 200 miles before I fill up next time and see if the gauge goes below 1/4 . Who knows maybe I got lucky and it unstuck itself......... Nah I would never be that lucky.

Oh okay that makes sense then I thought it was like my 1500 and read off the front wheel. I'll check the GPS vs speedometer Thanks guys

By the way what a big difference between the 1500 and 1800 I'm having to learn how to ride all over again or it seems like it but I am lovin the 1800

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay Well I filled up this morning gauge showed 1/4 tank it had 182.9 miles sense fill up it took 4.7 gallons so it should have had a little less than 2 gallons left in the tank. If I'm thinking right the gauge should have been setting close to empty with what was left in the tank. Do you know if you can buy just the sending unit or does the fuel pump come with it? I need to figure out which one of the sending units is bad first though

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
. Do you know if you can buy just the sending unit or does the fuel pump come with it? I need to figure out which one of the sending units is bad first though

See post #12. Obviously it's the lower one on the pump unit.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah Dave that's the one I figured it was that one. I was just hoping you would tell me it was the other one LOL

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Okay I finally got the time to replace the fuel pump and it's still the same thing. It will not read lower than 1/4 tank I had 225 miles on it and it was still sitting on 1/4 tank and the low fuel light never came on. When I filled up it took 5.7 gallons. I guess I can try replace the other float. Is that the one that works the low fuel light? I wouldn't think it would be the fuel gauge cause it will go to empty when I turn the key off. I just thought of something else I don't remember if the low fuel light comes on when I turn the key to on. I'll check that this afternoon when I leave work. If it don't and the other float works the low fuel light that may be the problem?

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
Okay I finally got the time to replace the fuel pump and it's still the same thing. It will not read lower than 1/4 tank I had 225 miles on it and it was still sitting on 1/4 tank and the low fuel light never came on. When I filled up it took 5.7 gallons. I guess I can try replace the other float. Is that the one that works the low fuel light? I wouldn't think it would be the fuel gauge cause it will go to empty when I turn the key off. I just thought of something else I don't remember if the low fuel light comes on when I turn the key to on. I'll check that this afternoon when I leave work. If it don't and the other float works the low fuel light that may be the problem?
No, the low fuel light does not come on for a bulb check when you turn the key on, at least mine doesn't. From what I can determine since both sensors are in series both have to be below a certain point to turn the light on so if the upper one was stuck part way up it would cause the gauge & the low fuel light to not work properly. Both my '08 & '10 the light would come on at about 1/8 and hold 5.5 gallons if I filled up right after it came on.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay thanks Dave I'll get an upper unit and try that. That's about the only thing my simple mind could think it could be. The only other thing I can come up with is the guy that had it before me changed the fuel pump and didn't put it back in the right spot and the float is hanging up on something inside the tank I put the new one in the same spot as the one I took out. This would be a good weekend to do it too it's supposed to be cold and raining here so I won't be tempted to ride.

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
See if you can manipulate the upper one manually and get some results.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah I was going to try that before I bought an upper unit. If that don't do it I'm going to pull the pump back out and move the float up and down and see what that does I guess if it's not hanging up on anything in the tank it could be defective. That fuel pump as a [email protected]#$& to get out of the tank though.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts