Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a 1983 GL-1100 Aspencade last year, but the fuel gauge read nothing. I had the tank, pod and saddle off this winter, and checked the sender.

No problem, 6 to 90 ohms, but when checking wiring, found a cut yellow wire next to the flasher module. When measuring it, it gave me zero ohms to the tank, so I was wondering if the wire got cut.

How do I take apart the electronic gauge panel, so I can run a test wire to the tank from the gauge, and test it that way? And where/what colour would the wire to the tank be?

At the other side of the flasher connector, it seems to be the right colour for the tank sender.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, since I would like to get riding in the next month.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Not sure on the wire issue, but it won't keep you from riding. When the bike starts sputtering as gas gets low, just flip the fuel petcock to reserve and get to a gas station.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Did you try grounding the sender wire to the frame with ignition on? That should make the gauge shoot up to full so you will know the gauge is working.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Not sure on the wire issue, but it won't keep you from riding. When the bike starts sputtering as gas gets low, just flip the fuel petcock to reserve and get to a gas station.

That is what I have been doing, but I would rather get it working again. On long trips it could be a problem when the next service station is far away, since you cannot predict levels and need.

thanks for the answer though....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Slowdave wrote:
Did you try grounding the sender wire to the frame with ignition on? That should make the gauge shoot up to full so you will know the gauge is working.
I tried that, but nothing, so it is either the gauge or the wiring..... have to rip the electronic panel apart, and try it from there.....

thanks for the answer...

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
imported post

The wire to the sender is yellow with a white stripe. If you had a manual it would show you how to disassemble the instrument panel. Something to get used to is using the trip odometer for fuel estimation in case of gauge failure. My 83 interstate would go 180 miles without switching to reserve, I don't think I ever did use reserve.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Coming from the gauge panel the hot lead for the gas sender unit should be yellow/white. It should be hot all the time the key is on. The green coming off the sender unit is a ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.