Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

low fuel light has never come on. guage said tank was empty but when i fill up it only takes 4 gallons.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

If it's anything like my 1200, the fuel gage is somewhat pessimistic and will never read completely full when I refuel. The fuel light comes on with one gallon left like it's supposed to. I think there is a calibration screw if you remove the fuel sender in the tank but one thing I'm not sure about is if it would mess up when the light comes on. Others will be along with the answer.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The fuel gauges aren't very accurate on the 15's. The light won't come on until about 1 gallon remains. I usually get about 200 miles per tank, so I use my trip odometer as a backup. Once the light comes on, I know I have about 30 miles (conservatively) or so, before I need to stop. Works every time.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

can i adjust sender float. may manually adjust to read right.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

the low fuel light will not come on until there is 1 gallon left in the tank. You can test the light when you first turn the key on,all lights should come on as a test, then the fuel light will go off.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

On the 1500, the gauge will be below Empty before the low fuel light comes on. You have a ~6 gallon tank.

The lightis not tied into the float level sensor. There is a separate thermistor mounted on the electric fuel pump bracket.

You may not like the gage reading, but yours sounds about right.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Your fuel gauge and low fuel light sound normal to me siebo, the low fuel light should come in when you have about one gallon left in the tank. Mine is pretty accurate, it will take just a bit over five gallons when the light comes on. The tank capacity is 6.3 gallons. The gauge will hit empty when I've got around two gallons left, I usually refuel with around 180-200 miles showing on the trip odometer and that will usually take between 4.5-6 gallons or a bit less. I have gone as far as 100 miles after the fuel gauge needle hits the red line.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Same here. When the Low Fuel light comes on, and depending on how far I had to ride before I got more fuel.... Always took between 5.0 to 5.5 gallons to fill the tank.

Once, like a dumkoph I forgot to check the fuel gauge before going to work. A mile down the freeway and I notice the Low Fuel Light. "Not to worry, always have a gallon left" :D

Got to work and promptly forgot about it. Ding Ding, time to go home. Jumped on bike and half way home that Low fuel light is "ON" real bright now :shock:

Dilemma, closest exit is 3 miles. From there closest fuel station is 3 miles. To my exit and fuel is 7 miles. I decided to just stay on for the ride :baffled: and see how it goes.

Took 5.97 gallons to fill the tank. I figure I tempted fate just about far enough on that one. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Anyone who relies on a fuel gauge on any motorcycle and does not use the odometer will sooner or later be walking. None of them are very accurate. Never have been. A fuel gauge on a motorcycle is never correct, even brand new.

Kit

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

I will trust the low fuel light before the milage as I have had wildly different milage, depending on how I ride. I have had it come on at 110 miles, and yesterday it was at 180 miles.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Yep, that thermistor seldom lies. Uncovered, it gets warmer and changes resistance and triggers the light.

The fuel gauge itself? Would never trust that, period. I always set my trip meter to zero at each fill up. Fill ups vary between 150 miles to 180 miles and seem to always need 4.8 to 5.0 gallons.

Must be a "throttle factor" in there somewhere :D

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

Yep, same here. Always reset the trip odometer at every fill-up and when my gas gauge is reading empty or below, stop and refuel. Usually takes between 4 to 5 gallons and that is usually in 180 to 220 miles. Just have had the light come on once, took 5.2 gallons to fill it up. Light is accurate but gas is a little off.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks all for good info. I will try to see how far it will go before light comes on. Thanks again.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

siebo wrote:
thanks all for good info. I will try to see how far it will go before light comes on. Thanks again.
You might want to carry a 2 gallon Jerry can with you. Although my low fuel light comes on upon start up, the sensor itself is faulty and in need of replacement. I suspected this when I filled up and it took 5.3US gallons to fill(297Kilometers)l. The next time I was getting down that far, I decided to see if the sensor worked or not and brought along some spare gas in a Jerry can. Bike ran out of gas at 394 k and no light came on. -Winter project

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I remember some postings on replacing the thermistor in the tank. I think someone had a component number for the thing. Got one from Radio Shack or some such. It shouldn't take much time to replace I think all that has to come off is the seat.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You can check the fuel sensor to see if it is working or not. That check is described in the service manual.(Section 4-43 of the downloadable manual)

Part number for a new sensor is part # 37810-MN5-008 and runs around $35.

Dusty

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

I suffered from the same problem with the fuel guage... inaccurate as all get-out!
I made a couple of special tools to help with adjusting the sending unit in the tank. I was able to access the float rod through the tank filler cap. Using a flashlight with a less than 1/2 filled tank it was fairly easy to do but is definately 'trial and error'. It took 3 times to get it right but now the tank is truly empty when the guage says EMPTY!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.