Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, my name is Dean and I have a fuel issue. (Or maybe I should say I have a fuel addiction) I'm riding a GL1100 Interstate that sat for the last 7 years. For a while I was bogging down and topping out at 55-60. It backfired randomly when I rolled off the throttle. I thought it was originally getting too much fuel, but after cleaning and replacing the fuel filter it might be that I was not getting enough fuel. Now that all that is done the bike seems to run better, and I dont bog down as often but it still has some fuel issues. Carbs have been cleaned 3 times. The other day there fuel under neath my air cleaner and leaking out of ... ?... maybe the choke? Or a "U" shaped rod about 1/8'' that ran from one side of the carb box to the other, and connected to a choke cable. Sorry for the ignorance. What should I check from here? Thanks so much for your help!

Dean

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Is it actual fuel Dean, or muck? If the breather hose on top of the engine is blocked up it will dump into the air cleaner box.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Dean
There are two aluminum fuel tubes that supply gas to each carb, they go between each 2 carbs. They have little o-rings on each end. They could be leaking.
Have you cleaned out the gas tank and inspected it for rust? If rust gets in the float needles, you will get a free flow of gas into the cylinders over night and get hydrolock as well as contaminated oil. Shut off your gas petcock to prevent hydrolock from happening. You can pull the float from the tank to inspect and clean the tank out. If rusty you might have to pull the tank.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Have you cleaned out the gas tank and inspected it for rust? If rust gets in the float needles, you will get a free flow of gas into the cylinders over night and get hydrolock as well as contaminated oil. Shut off your gas petcock to prevent hydrolock from happening. You can pull the float from the tank to inspect and clean the tank out. If rusty you might have to pull the tank.
The only tank clean I did was to burn a lot of carb cleaner through the motor (tank). I am concerned about the oil. I have new oil at my house...Can I ride it the 2 hours back to my house and then change the oil or will i burn up bearings, ect? Would you guess that the o -ring is bad or the carb needle ( or float)? To avoid pulling the carbs again would you think that just burning a couple of jubs of sea foam might cure the problem?

Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hey ekim189
in your previous post you had a no start condition caused by hydo lock.
Your floats are stuck and leaking. you have to get thet oil out of the engine it is contaminated from the hydro locking. you will likley toast the engine if you run it like that. If your stuck and short on cas go to walmart and buy cheapest 10 40 or even 50wt oil. should only cost 6 or 7 bucks. drop the old oil hot and let it drain good pull filter and let it drain good reinstall and ride home.
you will have to drop this oil when you get home and install new filter and oil.
remember to close petcock everytime you stop even if just for gas and keep a plug wrench on the bike
wilf

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

What does this change to the conversation: We did a compression test and got theses results. Cyl #1= 60psi @ 3 cranks, 90 @4 cyl#2 90 psi @ 1 cyl#3 =90 psi @3 cranks cyl #4= 60 @4 cranks + oil =70 after 4 cranks. So all the rings are leaking? Manual says 171 psi?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

There is a fuel passage in the bottom of the plenum, the box that the carburetors mount to and the air cleaner mounts on top of. The plenum splits at the center line and there is an O-ring sealing the two halves. If that O-ring fails you will get fuel in the plenum and on top of the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

The 171 PSI is only valid if you are using the exact same compression tester that Honda uses. Tappet clearance must be set correctly with the choke open (off) and the throttle held at WOT.

What is important are the relative numbers. Having 1 jug off by more than 10% the rest is something to watch, but I don't think it's the cause of your fuel control issues. Lets solve that before the waters get muddy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.