Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?Hi guys,

I am experience some problems on my 1200on whichI would like your opinion. When I first fire her up, I can hear a little exhaust leak and I have a strong smell of unburned gas in the exhaust (you know, the rich exhaust smell). When I am riding, I hear a little bit of poppingnoise on decel -- not a true backfire but sounds to be burn-off in the pipes. I also am noticing lower gas mileage but this may be due to the fact that most of my recent riding has been around town. I have only been getting around 28-30 mpg on the last couple of tanks and am thinking that's low even for around town. I ride every day but have limited my longer rides because of the winter weather. No, it hasn't really been all that cold this winter here in California but Ihave, with age, become more of a fair weatherrider when it comes to distance. At any rate, I do know there is a burn problem due to the exhaust smell and am wondering if this is due to the fuel injection orsomething else that is allowing fuel to reach the exhaust post burn. Any thoughts would be appreciated. v_man_1:)

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You were in no way being a smart-ass but you are wrong. I have a 1985 limited edition gold wing which is factory built with fuel injection. So, now you know

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

V-Man:

I found out I was in error and tried to delete my post!! Too late I guess??

Are any 1500's fuel injected???

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No, after Honda introduced efi in 1985 on the limited edition, it put it back on the shelf for the 1500s. It was reintroduced on the 6 cylinder 1800s in 2001. Unless someone did it aftermarket, the 1500 never had efi.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

If it is running too rich and has an exhaust leak it can make a popping noise as the unburned fuel mixes with fresh air in the exhaust. Several reasons for it to run rich, fuel pressure too high, bad coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor out of adjustment to name a few.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

May also check the plugs and plug wires and see if you have a dead cylinder. This can cause your symptoms. Did it just start doing it all the sudden?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

If it were a dead cylinder, I would have an obvious miss. The response and overall performance of the bike has remained excellent. It even maintains a consistent idle at 820rpm. If I rev the bike, or stop after riding, the smell of gas fumes in the exhaust is notable. Seems as though it is rich but does not otherwise indicate a problem.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

You can have a bad plug that fouls at an idle but fires and runs fine in the upper rpm ranges. A cylinder can run rich and smell of fuel without a large decrease in performance.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Have you sync'd the throttle valves? That might help a bunch...

HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

4 months late, but fuel pressure regulators that have a bad diaphram will cause these symptoms as well.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

hi i have a simmiler problem to this but my tickover hunts and will not sit for long driving me insane

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

Look under the travel computer there are two sensors that way back in the back that have a vacume hose about a inch long it is behind the air temp sensor.It is called the pbs power band sensor these little hoses have a crack replace that small pieces of hose my Ltd was doing the same thing replaced those small hose and that might do it.My bike started doing the same thing also has that bikes throttle body ever been cleaned and synced believe those things make a difference on a 1200 fuel injected.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

thanks for that ill have a look,as for the throttel body,s they could proberbly do with a clean i gess:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Kimbo, this is a way old thread from 2009. Don't forget to check the date on the post before replying...:readit:

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.