Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still very interested in the naked GW's 75-77 for me, but Im also thinking of a somewhat later model late 80's mid 90's with fuel injection instead of carbs. This bike would be for the wife and I when she wanted to ride along. What would be in your opinion the best models that have the best track record to go with.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
The only wings with injection are thw 85 LTD, the 86 SEi, and the 1800's. Personally, I'm a big fan the 85 LTD :), but you're in for some work if it hasn't been looked after.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have an 85 LtD for sale, low miles (22K) and very well cared for, new tires, fluids, AGM Battery, Ready to ride!! PM me if you are interested.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I would not recommend the '85LTD/'86SEi unless you are mechanically inclined, have a lot of patience, and are good at improvising things (unless you know for a fact that the system is already in good shape) These were excellent systems when new, but have not stood up well over time. And having only been made for 2 years, most parts for them are no longer available. Some parts from other applications can be substituted, parts can be modified, and in some cases completely fabricated. Many expensive or no longer available parts for these systems can be easily damaged while working on them if you are not careful, though they are a lot more robust than the systems on newer bikes and cars. These are simple analog systems, compared to the very fragile digital systems on newer vehicles. It took me several weeks to get mine going, I had to make and modify a lot of parts for it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,285 Posts
Why not carbs? Once set they require very little maintenance, work very well, and are comparably simple to repair and troubleshoot?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
A 4-cylinder 'Wing with fuel injection is a novelty at this point. Overly complicated for what it is.
You're thinking of fuel injection, ...but why?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
A 4-cylinder 'Wing with fuel injection is a novelty at this point. Overly complicated for what it is.
You're thinking of fuel injection, ...but why?

I totally agree. I am not a believer in ELECTRONIC fuel injection on ANY vehicle. It is expensive and difficult to work on, and trouble prone. And fuel injected vehicles do not run any better than carbed vehicles, with a couple of exceptions. One is that they can be started right up and ridden/driven off immediately. This means nothing to me, I always warm up my engines before putting a load on them anyway. The only real benefit I can see to FI is that it can automatically compensate for altitude. I ride in the mountains a lot, and suffer a performance loss due to running overly rich at high altitudes with carbs. But the problems with EFI are not worth that one benefit to me.

I do like some of the older mechanical systems, like the Rochester and Hilborn. The Rochester setup used on early '60s Corvettes was a finicky mess, but it could be made to run right, and had no electronics.

I have spent most of my life working in the HVAC industry (now medically retired) and when electronics took over the number of problems with A/C units more than doubled. Good for business, because it meant a lot more work and a lot more jobs. Not so good for the homeowners that paid the cost. I had to replace my unit last year, after nursing the old 30 year old mechanical unit along for over 20 years. No way is the new unit going to last 30 years.

I think your single carb setup is a terrific idea, and can't help but wonder why they did not come that way from the factory. The GW flat four is a natural for a centrally located single carb. almost all cars are like that, and work fine. The straight 6 in my '64 Fairlane is probably the most inefficient setup there is, with one carb mounted halfway between the 6 cylinders, with 3 different lengths of intake runners. Yes, there was an attempt to balance the runners, like installing dampers and deflectors in A/C ductwork. But the center two cylinders still run richer than the two end cylinders. But it still works, and works well.

I would love to be able to install a single carb on my LTD, but even if it were possible, the cost and all the work involved would probably not be worth it on a bike in such poor overall condition.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Thanks Jerry.

Fuel injection has its place. I love it for what it is. It may allow me to jump into my new Civic and drive off at a higher than normal idle while compensating for everything involved that a cold engine has to offer but, ..Honda tells me to wait and let it warm up. Even has a little light that goes out to keep it simple for my smart rump, telling when I can go.

My carb set-up is perfect. I can't do anymore except to try different ways of accomplishing what I already have that works perfectly now. For the crappy weather I've had here in the last few days, I still took the bike out for a ride a few hours ago. It was 32 degrees. Started up with no choke and ran without a hiccup. Ran better than a stock set-up with better fuel mileage to boot. I was the only bike on the road for what I could see for where I went. With so much misleading and outright false information out there about these conversions I find it harder and harder to keep moving forward. Absurdly amazing in the most paradoxical of ways in that its perpetuation is supposed to keep more of the failing factory racks in service when they are clearly at the end of their service life. No amount of fresh parts can replace the lost metal of a carb body. Some out there don't ignore that fact, they just lie about it. Whatever...

I've a remote oil cooler that I plan to use for intake heat instead of using the radiators heat. And NO, I am not using a filter adapter designed for a GL of any sort. More on that later...

Take a good look at the picture below of a High-Performance Lancia from 1959/60. That intake manifold and mine are essentially, ...exactly the same. Even the carburetor I use is derived from the Weber 32DCH on it. I'm not reinventing the wheel. I'm going with a proven design, so why would I reinvent anything? If it's good enough for Lancia and, at one time, good enough for Honda, it's certainly good enough for me. All I've done was homework in finding the correct parts for the engine I have to emulate it without actually sandcasting a exact duplicate copy of it. Sure, I've spent more than what the exhaust tubing crowd spends on their stuff, but I have more. I've something which works perfect for my GL1 and is modeled after something that had two decades of proven service when my 35 year old motorcyle was new and on the showroom floor. I don't feel as though I am missing much of anything at all.

:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I prefer the EFI on my 1800 but have put a lot of miles on 1100, and 1500 models with carbs. Once the carbs are clean and set up they require very little if any maintenance. I put over 100,000 miles on my 1500 with no carb maintenance other than occasionally running some Sea Foam through them. I don't like the single carb conversion myself though some do. There's no way that a single carb will yield as much power as the four carbs with their short runners do. We all have our opinions on the subject. Check out Randakk's Cycle Shack for information on the early 'Wings and an expert's opinion on carbs for the GL1000s of 1975-1979.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I love fuel injection. Self tuning, self diagnosing (at least for the modern systems) and just so much more efficient. I know a lot of folks give the LTD/SEi wings a bad rap, but I can only speak from personal experience... and mine has been great. My bike was left parked (not stored, just parked) for five years in the AZ heat. I bought it as is, spent about a week and $500 (including tires) and it purred like a kitten and has run great ever since with only a head gasket job. I have had other electrical/suspension issues, but nothing related to the EFI system. Jerry's bike really was a special case of abuse and neglect before he got it, many other LTD owners LOVE them.

I spent 8 years in HVAC too, but mine was recently so I didn't have the joy of cutting my teeth on the older "non-computer" units. But one thing I can tell you is that while the modern units experience sensore and board failures, they also have FAR LESS refrigerant system issues and compressor failures. Scroll compressors are great, I'll take 'em any day of the week over a clunky thousand pound semi-hermetic thats gotta be serviced every couple years and lord help ya if you gotta replace it. But i'm sure Jerry hates scrolls because they're "modern" and can't be serviced and they "behave" differently than what he's used to.

Point is, carbs are kind of a form of art, they take skill, experience, instinct, and just the right touch, and while I greatly respect those who have the touch, it's always a struggle for me. Personally, while that is fun every once in a while when it doesn't really "matter", if I'm driving it every day I just want to get in it and drive. If I have to fix it I just want to bolt the parts on and get back to riding/driving. Call me lazy, but carbs are just too much hassel and effort. You will always have those who are afraid of technology, but I ain't one of 'em...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Im not sure it really matters what everyone else like, the OP likes Fuel Injection and thats what he is looking for.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Im not sure it really matters what everyone else like, the OP likes Fuel Injection and thats what he is looking for.
Yeah, I was just recommending against the LTD/SEi IF the OP does not have some mechanical skill/experience and IF the FI was not known to be in good condition. I totally agree it was a great system when it was new, and is still quite serviceable today, IF parts were available. It contains a lot of parts that are subject to deterioration over the decades. My bike looks like it sat out in the AZ sun since new, and almost everything made out of rubber and plastic was rotted. Had it been garage kept this would not likely have been a problem.

As far as I know, the compressor in my 30 year old Goettl unit was original. It was 10 years old when I bought the house, and never had gauges put on it since I bought it. I replaced 1 outdoor fan motor, 3 indoor fan motors (I run the indoor fan 24/7) and one contactor. The compressor finally died when the start winding shorted to ground. But, for 20 years I kept the tstat set on 70 degrees all summer.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
He says nothing about what he likes, Jebo.

Assume that ...what he likes is reliability and comfort for his wife.
A fuel-injected Goldwing should be a natural pick for that. Too bad for the limitations on the two available choices.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,947 Posts
Deja vu or here we go again!!! What's up with you two? You know this is going to be jumped on by the Mods. And rightly so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.