Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Been a while, but I could use some advice. I'm losing half my gas to this leak. Have never taken the carbs off before, so I was hoping to get an idea of what I'm up against first. Startup and performance are excellent (other than terrible gas mileage)

May be unrelated, but once it's warm, it idles too high in neutral (about 1500)

For this leak, I was hoping to easily spot a cracked fuel line or t connector, but no such luck. Nothing leaks from the drain lines at bottom of bike, and no leaking by filler lid area...only leaks when bike is running. I've spotted the fuel drop forming in the area marked in photo. What are the possible sources? Hope ive provided enough detail for diagnosis. Thanks in advance View attachment 320926

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Hey all. Been a while, but I could use some advice. I'm losing half my gas to this leak. Have never taken the carbs off before, so I was hoping to get an idea of what I'm up against first. Startup and performance are excellent (other than terrible gas mileage)

For this leak, I was hoping to easily spot a cracked fuel line or t connector, but no such luck. Nothing leaks from the drain lines at bottom of bike, and no leaking by filler lid area...only leaks when bike is running. I've spotted the fuel drop forming in the area marked in photo. What are the possible sources? Hope ive provided enough detail for diagnosis. Thanks in advance View attachment 320926
What bike do you have and what is the position you are taking the pictures from? Maybe identify something to give a perspective,

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Looks to me like the overflow drain from the carb bowls. That implies they are over filling because of bad or dirty float valves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered about an overflow situation. I was hoping for something simple like fuel line instead of a carb rebuild. I'm guessing it's not a job seafoam could handle.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Looks to me like the overflow drain from the carb bowls. That implies they are over filling because of bad or dirty float valves.
But he said it runs well and does not leak from a hose. Wouldn't you expect it to run rich and leak from the grain hose? Doesn't run and smoke like this one does it? Or leak like this one? Or start like this one?
I can't figure out what I am looking at in your pictures. Look below and mark where your perspective is.
2020-01-05.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't leak nearly that much (that I can see) and nothing from any hoses. I had to search a lot before I finally saw 1 single drop forming under the area I marked in the pic. It could be leaking somewhere that I cant see, but it's not much and can barely smell it. But my tank is emptying in literally half the miles.

I was thinking ot could be a split hose, and the fuel is being carried away out of site. But I don't know why it would be collecting in droplets right on the carb itself.
20200105_235232.jpg

·
It aint rocket science
3,814 Posts
That is where the float bowl cover attaches to the carb body. At a minimum two new float bowl gaskets and a accelerator pump inspection/replacement of gaskets/seals which is located just above the leak area.

·
It aint rocket science
3,814 Posts
Your running condition is very likely related as a contributor to poor fuel mileage and needs to be investigated further as to the why.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
But he said it runs well and does not leak from a hose. Wouldn't you expect it to run rich and leak from the grain hose?
I was thinking it's probably leaking at the open T that they have in that drain hose and the lower hose is plugged.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
No. Had to stare at the same spot.for 30 seconds before I could see one bead of fuel accumulate in the area I marked. Very light gas smell in that area. No other evidence of leak that I can find.
Okay, I assume that is a Static Test with the Ignition OFF ??

pop the seat off, pull the + power wire off the fuel pump, and jumper +12V to the fuel pump direct. That will pressure up all of the fuel line ( up to the Vacuum Shutoff ).

If no leaks by this point, Bypass the fuel shutoff and look for leaks around the lines to the carbs.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Ed,
Unfortunately I think you might have a bad fuel bowl gasket. In the attached picture the thin line indicates where the fuel bowl gaskets (left and right carbs) are located. Where the "X" is on the picture is where I think you see the dripping? If that is right do you understand my logic? If the gasket failed can you see the logical path the gas would take to end up where you noticed it?
The gaskets for these carbs do have a reputation of leaking especially after 20 years. The carbs must come off to repair and it only makes sense to rebuild them then.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
If you look down in the carbs with the engine running you may see fuel bubbling out of the main jets, that's where you fuel economy is going if it's not dripping externally pretty fast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts