Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1994 GL1500 Aspencade. It has been sitting for about two months. I started it today and fuel pours out the drain hose under the bike. It seems to start, idle and riv ok. The fuel only comes out when the bike is running. Any ideas before I tear it apart, such as stuck float, etc?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Yes stuck float. you need to tap the side of the carbs to get it unstuck. You can get to them through the center of the radiator grill you will need a 1/4 inch rod about two and a half foot long to reach them. Then just tap on the carbs

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

Not trying to hijack this thread... I see you also have a 88 GL. I recently bought an 88 and read the TSB about the surging problem the 88 and 89's have. Is there a fix to this with out spending lots to have someone remedy this. I spoke to the mechanic who serviced my bike from day one and he said most owners just learn to ride them with this issue. Sorry, I have a hard time believing the first and second owners of this bike would not have fixed this problem. It can be a little tricky stating out on gravel surfaces .

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I had the hesitation also, I ended up buying a set of carbs on EBAY for a 1994 model then had to modify them to fit my 88 it runs perfect now

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Wolf wrote:
I have a 1994 GL1500 Aspencade. It has been sitting for about two months. I started it today and fuel pours out the drain hose under the bike. It seems to start, idle and riv ok. The fuel only comes out when the bike is running. Any ideas before I tear it apart, such as stuck float, etc?
> From which hose is the flow coming from?..

There are two:
1) From the drain pan around the gas cap (Hose is aprox 1/2" OD)
2) From the Carb Drain Screw (Hose is aprox 1/4" OD)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It was the hose from the carb. The drain pan was dry.
I used Monkey Wrench's fix and it did the trick.
Thanks to both of you.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

If you don't mind me asking ..how much were the carbs and was the mod a pain or pretty straight forward.

Any way to fix this without replacing the carbs?

It's not a real big deal for me but I would not trust anyone not familiar with this issue to ride it.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

They were 50 bucks, free shipping. The 94 does not have as many hoses as the 88. the port are there but not drilled so I had to use letter drill bits to get the right size.then I had to remove the steel tube from the old carbs and install on the 94s the cruse control hooks up different so I had to swap the wheels over. not hard to do at all. my fuel mileage is a lousy 30 miles per gallon. I was hoping to get higher mileage, but that didn't happen. It run great and will start without choke when cold.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I read the TSB that's posted on this site about the carb fix and it may have had the fix but certainly doesn't run like it. When it's not up to operating temps and cold it surges really fast jerking my head back. I'll check with the first owner and see. It might be a vacuum hose or something.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 GL1500. It had/has the low speed hesitation too.
What I did was set the idle up slightly. Yeah its a challenge should you leave it like it is. Learned the hard way when I bought mine. The owner never mentioned it. I had that bike headed four different directions trying to get out of his long winding driveway. Not being accustomed to floor boards
did not help either.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I didn't notice when I test drove it. I just thought it was acting up because it wasn't at operating temps. Mine has the floor boards and it took some time to get the hang of the heel toe shifter as well. I'll try the idle to see if that helps. I'm determined to fix this without replacing the carbs or spending a lot on parts. I can't trust anyone else to ride this until I do something to remedy the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.