Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1988 Goldwing
Discussion Starter #1
So guys this is my first post. I personally always wanted to own a Goldwing and I so happened to inherited a 1988 Goldwing that has been sitting for about 6 years. Overall is in great condition but because it was sitting, there are some inherent issues. I have already cleaned out the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump being the reason he originally parked it, I have also replaced the battery, fuel filter and plugs . My issue is, after installing the new fuel pump today, I turned up the choke and it started for about 5 second then it stopped and will not start again, just turns over. I noticed a tube that sits behind the petcock was pouring out fuel every time I attempt to start it. The tube goes down both sides of the air filter down to I believe the carb. I did open the petcock after this issue and seemed pretty clean but will be rebuilding looks kind of brittle so it will be rebuilt the next couple days. today. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue. Is there supposed to be fuel coming out that tube? This tube sees to only be present in the 88 Model. If not, why is it leaking and would it have something to do with it not cranking?
tube

Registered
1988 Goldwing
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not sure where my original post went so I'm posting again.

I recently inherited a 1988 Goldwing that has been sitting for about 6 years. The original owner parked it when his home was used to film the movie Blended and never really got on it since.

Overall is in great condition but because it was sitting, there are some inherent issues.

I have already cleaned out the gas tank, the fuel pump was bad, being the reason he originally parked it, I have replaced the battery and plugs as well.

My issue was, after installing the new fuel pump today, I turned up the choke and it tried to start for a few seconds then it stopped and will not start again, just turns over. I noticed a tube that sits behind the petcock was pouring out fuel every time I attempt to start it. This tube goes down on both sides of the air filter down to I believe the carb.

I did open the petcock after this issue and seemed pretty clean but will be rebuilding it today had a few cracks in the rubber.

Is there supposed to be fuel coming out of that tube and what is it for? It looks to be only on the 88 models. The California version has a hose that goes to a canister connected to it but the other versions, it's just an open tube. Would a bad petcock make fuel poor out like tube? Could the carbs be bad causing this? HELP 馃槱

Question two
The new fuel pump had an extra hose that attaches to the inside of the tank that my old one did not have. Was that OK to connect and could that have anything to do with the issue?

After trying to start the bike, the tank held pressure. Heard the rush of air once I opened the gas cap.

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
don't know why, but your post got hung up in the forum server's spam catcher.

noted your info in the post, and stamped you as 'Approved' and there you are.

Administrator
That is a vent pipe and fuel should not be coming out of it. What it indicates is the carbs are flooding over seriously and will need to be removed and rebuilt.

Reactions: MBarth

Registered
1988 Goldwing
Discussion Starter #5
That is a vent pipe and fuel should not be coming out of it. What it indicates is the carbs are flooding over seriously and will need to be removed and rebuilt.
That's what I thought, half this bike will be rebuilt when I get done with this 馃榿 thank you for your input. I will report back once I get it rebuilt

Registered
1988 Goldwing
Discussion Starter #6
I have pulled the carbs and petcock and will be rebuilding both. Question, Any idea where to purchase the S shaped fuel hose that goes into the CARB? Its very hard and may break taking it off.

Registered
While the one for an 88 is unlisted, 89 and on are still good from Honda or Partszilla. In the parts diagrams they look to be the same basic shape. Although the photo looks more like a "C" than an "S".
17708-MT2-000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts