Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, let me start by thanking everyone who contributes their thoughts on this website! I would be lost without Steve's page, Thanks!
I have a 91 SE with 92K miles. I bought it last year from an older man who, you guessed it, let it sit for a long time. Six or seven concentrated Seafoam treatments made it run 95% (still has a little stumble off idle but I can live with that). Anyway, occasionally I noticed a small amount of gas in the overflow tray and decided to rebuild the fuel shut off after reading here how dangerous it can be if the float fails. Yesterday I completed the rebuild and installed the rebuilt shut off and started the bike. Gas began streaming out of the carb overflow tube, the one that exits under the middle of the bike, not the overflow tray tube by the gas cap. I shut the bike down and began to scratch my head. I'm not that familiar with Goldwing carbs but my thought is that there is an overflow tube on the fuel bowls in case the float fails. I couldn't understand how the float level could be affected by me removing and reinstalling the shut off. I started it up several more times and watched the tube. The fuel would come in spurts, a good stream than nothing...repeat. I assume this was related to the float's opening and closing. I added my last can of seafoam and ran it for a minute or two, no change. Mystified and discouraged, I walked away. Today, I fired it up and no leak! The only thing I can come up with is that some dirt must have gotten into the fuel line and lodged itself under the float needle causing the fuel bowl to overfill. Maybe the Seafoam dissolved the contaminate, I don't know for sure, but I'm glad I don't have to remove those carbs! I wanted to share my experience, hopefully it will help another.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Yup...what you describe happens every so often. A speck of pepper in the wrong place cab cause that issue.
Another cure is to disconnect the fuel pump and start the bike. Run the fuel bowls completely out of gas so the needle and seat is wide open. Then restart the bike. Many times the fuel charging through the wide open needle and seat will sweep it away. problem fixed. ;)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup...what you describe happens every so often. A speck of pepper in the wrong place cab cause that issue.
Another cure is to disconnect the fuel pump and start the bike. Run the fuel bowls completely out of gas so the needle and seat is wide open. Then restart the bike. Many times the fuel charging through the wide open needle and seat will sweep it away. problem fixed. ;)
Thanks for the tip!!! It started leaking again:mad:. I will try it and let you know if it works.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Thanks for the tip!!! It started leaking again:mad:. I will try it and let you know if it works.
Possible you never got the debris out of there. Might have just moved temporarily to a less critical area. Now it's back. There is a chance a wide open flush will carry it away for good....hopefully.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the fuel flush three times with no change, it's still leaking! Am I correct in my reasoning that the tube is a bowl overflow? Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
I did the fuel flush three times with no change, it's still leaking! Am I correct in my reasoning that the tube is a bowl overflow? Any other suggestions?
Yes if it is the one that comes from near the top of both carbs. You might have an issue with a bad float or needle and seat issue. The last suggestion I can think of is run the carbs dry again. Tap pretty hard on the carbs in the area where the fuel lines enter the carbs. Use the handle of a screwdriver or plastic hammer. That might jar whatever loose so it can be washed away????? Might be worth a try. This type of issue is usually not solved by Seafoam even though I do believe it has uses.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is in Florida and I'm only here during the winter months so it has sat since last March. Last year I was running Seafoam through it to clean the carbs and it may have sat for eight months with fuel and Seafoam in the system. I was running a higher concentration of Seafoam, one whole can in a tank. I am wondering if the Seafoam has attacked the tip of the floats. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
The bike is in Florida and I'm only here during the winter months so it has sat since last March. Last year I was running Seafoam through it to clean the carbs and it may have sat for eight months with fuel and Seafoam in the system. I was running a higher concentration of Seafoam, one whole can in a tank. I am wondering if the Seafoam has attacked the tip of the floats. Thoughts?
It's not supposed to but in higher concentrations it might.

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
Instead of Sea Foam for Long Term storage, I highly suggest Stabil 360 Ethanol Treatment,
available even in my grocery store here in Oologah, OK.... Home Depot, Walmart, any Autoparts store.

Prices vary all over the place, so check around. don't know why some folks over price this stuff.

this is what I use for my AuxGen set, which sets sometimes for a year or more, and it fires right up every time, on about the 3rd rollover.

I also put it in my ZeroTurn lawnmower for winter storage, even though, everything gets Pure Gas only.
It staves off Fuel deterioration .

don't take much of it, get the smallest container you can find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes if it is the one that comes from near the top of both carbs. You might have an issue with a bad float or needle and seat issue. The last suggestion I can think of is run the carbs dry again. Tap pretty hard on the carbs in the area where the fuel lines enter the carbs. Use the handle of a screwdriver or plastic hammer. That might jar whatever loose so it can be washed away????? Might be worth a try. This type of issue is usually not solved by Seafoam even though I do believe it has uses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe I may have same issue. bike sat 4 years. starts but barely runs, won't idle. had gas coming from between carbs. looks like from tube between top of carbs. has a short T in the line. was looking for info when I read this post

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did add sta-bil to the gas last year prior to heading north. My concern is if the Seafoam in the gas attacked the needle. I was told by someone that seafoam is corrosive but I don't know if he was well informed or guessing. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
The needle and seat is made of metal with the exception of the tip of the needle which is Viton. Viton is a very tough type of rubber that stands up to most anything you would have on a motorcycle or car. Some have had Stabil in tanks for years with no issues other than it must be added to fr it to stay effective. If there is an issue with a Viton tipped needle it is because of wear. Over many years of use the needle opens an closes millions of time. This can wear a circular wear mark that might not seal properly. Who would sell a corrosive product to add to your gas for storage purposes.

If you follow the drain line back I think you should find a Tee. I actually think it is more in the shape of a "Y." You could pull the hoses off the "Y" and run the bike to discover which carb is the offender. Once you find that you could run the float bowls dry again so the float drops and the needle opens. Take the fuel line off that carb and using low pressure air to blow through the open needle and seat. Don't be too aggressive with the air pressure. You might end up taking the carbs apart. Usually if you can get things going time will make it better even though you may have a few hiccups.
You don't store the bike on the sidestand by chance?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for your help. No, I store it on the center stand. I have gotten sidetracked on a tile job here at the house and I haven't started it for 9 days. Today I fired it up and it dribbled a little then stopped. Went to Wally world for seafoam and checked throughout the trip and I saw no leaks, no leaks in the driveway after I got home. I will check it again tomorrow. If it starts again I will try the air pressure trick. I will let you know what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts