Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is wrong when i shut the engine off and gas comes gushing out of a rubber tube onto the ground below the engine?

I'm definately not a carb guy, and admit total ignorance about carburetors.

The leak was called to my attention as I was walking away from it after parking it in from of a supermarket. It was gushing out.

A teenager passing by commented, "maybe you have a stuck float". Maybe I do. But how to I find a float, and how do I fix it?

Do I tap on the carburetor as I heard someone else comment?

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry,

I would trace the pipe to find the souce, but probaly a sticking float.

Nick

welsh winger

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Shut the petcock off when you shutdown. Otherwise you risk the chance of getting what we call "hydro lock". Meaning the gas will run from the flooding carb, into the cylinder head through the intake valve. Filling it up to the point that the engine will NOT turn over. That is rough on the starter also. If you don't feel you can do the job your self, take it to a shop. Or you might find a forum guru mechanic in your area to give you a hand.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I could be wrong but I am not aware of a fuel overflow tube on a GL1100. Are you sure it wasn't coolant?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yep, no overflow tubes from carbs...it goes into the cylinders is stuck float..not good. But it doesn't seem like that's your leak..got a pic of the tube..trace it back..antifreeze? breather tube? Battery overflow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.