Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this has been "beat to death," butsomething has noticeably changed. The gas mileage on my 1999 GL1500 (68,000) went from 39-40mpg to 35-36mpg. The fuel mileage on my 2003 VTX1300S (38,000) has also changed from 46-48mpg to 40-41mpg. I'm going to blame it on the ##$ %##* ethanol laced fuel that my regular stations have started to sell. "What say you all?"

Norm

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

I definitely notice a difference in performance and miles per tank between "real gas" and that stuff with alcohol in it.

The worst thing I have noticed, with ethanol/alcohol fuels is that if the bike is not used at least once a week, the carbs "go bad" and it is hard to start.

Regular gas is not so bad in that regard. A few weeks can go by and "real gas" will still start right up.

That alcohol stuff evaporates from the carbs in between uses, at least down in my old home place of the Arizona desert.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

It's a given that you lose at least 5% gas mileage with 10% ethanol. Be glad you don't live in Hawaii where 15% is mandated. You lose 20% or more in mileage at that mix.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Norm
I've never gotten above 36 on mine since getting it a year ago. Mostly down at 30. Be happy your getting above 40.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I average 38mpg (US) when loaded down for touring, regardless of type of gas,south of the border. :baffling:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Unless its time to change plugs, or your gap is above 31. its the ethanol. so your not alone. mine average 30mpg to 32

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I've mostly been able to avoid the Ethanol laced fuel here. I still average around 42 on long stretches and around 38--39 in the city.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

When it is cooler, the mileage drops off on my Wing. I was getting 40 plus and now I am getting mid 30s. Did the same thing last year.

It might be that I stay in town more during the cooler weather so my mileage is all stop and go.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I average 37-38 mpg on normal day to day riding back and forth to work. When I'm touring it goes up to 40-42 mpg. I stretched a tank to 43 mpg this past Saturday while riding.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Parman wrote:
I average 37-38 mpg on normal day to day riding back and forth to work. When I'm touring it goes up to 40-42 mpg. I stretched a tank to 43 mpg this past Saturday while riding.
Sounds like mine too...

37-38 Communting (Stop & Go city traffic)

Low 40's out country side riding (45-55 MPH for long stretches)

As high as 50 MPG (twice) riding at 61 MPH in the great plains eastbound (downhill)....

In the mountains...48 MPG kinda regualrly...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Highest I ever got was 46 mph and that was cruising at around 45 to 50 mph all day on backroads in southern WI.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

Glad you're (still) getting the high end of the mpg's :)! I was at 25-27, replaced everything fuel/air related, now Ican squeek out 32-33. Interesting how the fuel content changes things :)!

-Daniel

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

You guys must really pour on the coals. I got under 40mpg once that I can recall. I probably average 43-44mpg. I've never made 50 but come close many times. For some reason, like Wingsconsin, I get really high mileage in the mountains. All of these numbers are 2-up, using 10% ethanoland usually with a s***-load of camping gear. Mine is a '99 GL1500 also.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

not shure how you can get that kinds mileage tlbanth. you must really keep speeds down and not opener up on takoff
wilf

y

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
not shure how you can get that kinds mileage tlbanth. you must really keep speeds down and not opener up on takoff
wilf
y
I don't light the fires from every stop..but there is no moss growing on my tires either...

I have NO extra drag items on my Wing..No wind wings, no extra weight (chrome) hardly, and a Tulsa etra tall aerodynamic windshield.

Keep the speeds under 67 MPH(and thus the RPM's under 3K) and yoou may see better fuel economy..

I change air filters...lube everything as required, and use Seafoam, or MMO in various tank fills. I use synthetic oil changed at 5K everytime.

My tires are near the maximum air pressure (cold) and I monitor that often.

I maintain my brakes o that they do not drag.

At speeds in excess of 70 MPH my MPG's will go down to the low 30's.

Aerodynamic drag coeffcient is a greater detriment to MPG thatn RPM's on the 1500's. Try running 45 RPM in 3rd & 4th all day...carving the twistys...you will still get good mileage...(I hve done it numerous times)

I have over 100K on this Goldwing and know it inside and out....

Wick it up a lot and pay for it in fuel consumption....Take it easy and see some of the benefits...but I didn't buy it to save gas...

I just like riding...:?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+1 wingsconsin
iv'e gotten 38 mpg (us) and 28 mpg I do not check my milelage very often as it may spoil the fun. If I cared about my mileage I would not ride a wing if I wanted a go fast bike I would not have a wing. My 1500 is like me old and fat but I shure can have my fun when I ride it!
Wilf

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Fuel mileage is directly related to how fast you want to ride.

My '98SE has given me everything between 25 mpg up to 45 mpg.

Look at this expense record I have been keeping. Just useless trivia, because it don't prove a thing except that the throttle is directly related to your wallet's payout rate.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 --

I would be curious to know the TOTALS from all that record keeping and the OVERALL AVERAGES from the data...That would offer some real insight into the long term performance of these great machines...

(Wow - you are really organized!):shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.