Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wondering what is a good range of fuel mileage for an 1100. I was getting around 36-38 city and switched to super unleaded now getting 30-32 city, Going back to regular. Have not had any extended trips yet. Planning one for this weekend (200-300 miles). Is this within the "average ranges"?

Thanks,

Billy

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

About average for me anyways. I have the single Holley conversion, and I usually get 35 to 39 mpg. Depends on driving speed, headwinds, etc..

But then again, my bike does have a bunch of extra weight on it as well.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Raymond - where did you get the single carb modification? I have found the manifolds but not the carb.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Just run regular through your bike. I get 40+ to a gallon and I exercise the bike. I use a metric glug or two of MMO per tankfulto keep the system clean. My ol' 83 I fires within a mere touch of the button.

Have fun on your ride. I've got a 150 mile "rally" to go on Saturday, and here in the Midwest of Illinois, the temps are going to be in the mid-70's. I can't wait!

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

BTW what type of aircraft/specialty do you do? Or are you A&P fully rated? Reason I ask is that I used to be an avionics tech in the Air Force and I'm just curious is all.I just enjoy aircraft. Maybe that's why I enjoy my "Wing" so much.

C-Ya:action:

Hobie:11red::11red::11red::jumper::11red::gunhead::11red::shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Putting anything higher than 87 octane is just a waste of money and a carbon generator. Won't run better and may not start as well with the 92 stuff. Mileage is likely to go down a bit too_One thing I avoid around here is ARCO, in my area they use more ethanol than anyone else. Not all that worried about it but when you add crap it usually reduces the BTU content of the fuel so you get less mileage added to the additional corrosion you get from hydroscopic additives.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Got the carb kit from Randy that ran the Back Yard Goldwing Bar and Grill MSN group about a year before he passed away. At the time I was going to buy one from CI, but good thing I didn't as I would still be waiting for one.

Go to the new Back Yard site, and there are some ideas floating around for various manifolds and carb combinations.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the help. I believe regular will be all that is ran in it from now on, didn't think about fouling the plugs. Weather has been great around here and I have been making excuses to the wife to a least ride to the store and back. Am looking forward to a longer ride. My wife's not ready to ride yet, but my 14 year old daughter is more than eager to go with me. She maybe a future "winger'.

Hobie, I am a fully rated A&P. I spent 16 years with Delta until recently when they closed our DFW hangar. Was an Avionics Lead for 3 of those years then went into management. Loved the job.

Billy

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Ithink you are a pretty sharp individual. Anyone that hasn't crawled around the guts of the aircraft you serviced doesn't have a clue as to how much wiring and boxes are involved. I would love to follow a good tech through the troubleshooting techniques of today.

Sorry that the thread got a little off base but the folks that hang around here are some darn good people.:clapper:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have really been impressed with the knowledge and the people wanting to help on this site. It is usually hard to find people who want to help for free anymore. As has been said many times, "This is a great site".

Yes, lots of wires and lots of boxes. It is a fun job.

Billy

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

....and I think that the GW manual specs 87 octane.

That's all I run and everything seems fine.

J:cool:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I just ran my first tank full through on my new-to-me 82 gl1100 and I am pleased to say it got exactly 40mpg... and that is with lots of in-town travel and general cranking it up and letting it run while sitting there with a goofy grin on my face when showing it off to my friends. I'll be using it mostly to go 25 miles back and forth to work on the highway and I can't wait to see what kind of mileage it will get like that.... especially since my box-on-wheels is a 91 560 SEL that gets right around 15mpg... let there be scooter days!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I went on a 380 mile trip yesterday:cheeky1:eek:n my 83 1100 Aspencade. Mileage averaged at 39.74mpg. About 200 miles were at 70-75 mph on the highway between Yuma and the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego.Had to slow down on the twisty mountain roads though. The 180 miles I spent running up and down the mountain were great! The:11grey: ran great and had good power even at 5000 foot ASL. I live at about 200 foot ASL. Really hated to go from nice cool temps in the 60'sback to nearly 100 degrees F. at the base of the mountain.

I ride my:11grey: 65 miles (round trip) to work daily and only average 36-37 mpg. Maybe it likes the higher altitude!

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Sorry that the thread got a little off base but the folks that hang around here are some darn good people.:clapper:
You are darn right Hobie1 :clapper:No harm to ramble off topic now and again. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
Wondering what is a good range of fuel mileage for an 1100.
Hey bmoore106 :waving: My neighbour says you should get around 40mpg and use regular fuel. :clapper:

:skipping::18red::skipping:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
It is usually hard to find people who want to help for free anymore. As has been said many times, "This is a great site".
Hey bmoore106 :waving: This is a great site, in fact it is the best on the net. :clapper:

The wingnut who owns this site has to pay all of the "Gurus" huge money for helping the other members to fix their :18red::12ltd::11yellow::15red::1000liteblue:so any problems you have with your :11red:this is the place to get it fixed.:weightlifter:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Went on a 200 mile ride this weekend. Still had the super unleaded in the tank and I got 35.12 mpg. I filled up with regular unleaded and will see how it does. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Billy

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

That's a good idea - I'll check what the mileage is on my next tank. I drive about 40 miles round trip - mostly interstate.

VROOOMMMMMM!............................................:15red:

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

Just curious, but I called the local Honda dealer near here and for a older Gold Wing (81 GL1100) they said they recommend using the premium higher octane (91-92 octane) without ethenol gas. I have used this for a few tanks now and it sure does seem to pop off better and also seems to be running great. What's the general consensus of this?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Hello,

83 GL1100 here, I use 87 octane and get upper 30s to about 40 mpg on a good tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.