Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I believe regular will be all that is ran in it from now on, didn't think about fouling the plugs. Weather has been great around here and I have been making excuses to the wife to a least ride to the store and back. Am looking forward to a longer ride. My wife's not ready to ride yet, but my 14 year old daughter is more than eager to go with me. She maybe a future "winger'.

Hobie, I am a fully rated A&P. I spent 16 years with Delta until recently when they closed our DFW hangar. Was an Avionics Lead for 3 of those years then went into management. Loved the job.

Billy
Hey Billy,

I noticed your post and that you are from Krum, I go through there often, maybe I will see you sometime, I live on a ranch outside of Forestburg, only 40 miles away, if you have been in this area you already know the scenery is beautiful around St. Jo, Rosston, Montague, Forestburg,ect. Rolling hills and lots of curves, on the weekends lots of bikers from Dallas and Ft Worth seem to head this way, and if you come and ride here you will know why............,,,I am an A&P retired, I worked at the Decatur, Bridgeport Airports years ago. Happy Riding.

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
imported post

I grew up in St. Jo. My daughter and I made the ride from Krum through Forestburg to St. Jo this last weekend. We were visiting relatives. It had been a while since I had been out there. I really do like it out in that area, so peaceful and quiet. If you have not done it before, I recommend stopping at Miguelito's in Krum for a meal. Good Tex-Mex.

Billy

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Billy,

That is cool. One of my favorite roads is from Forestburg to St. Jo.. I like going to Dye Mound too, I will try the Miguelito's, I have seen it before but havenot eat there yet...I love the Mexican food at Pepito's in Bowie,,,there is one in Nocona also, haven't tried it should be the same. Take care, we will see you on the road.

Dean :12red:

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

If I get less than 44 mpg on the highway there is a problem. I live in wisconsin USA and usually get 47 to 49 on 87 octane

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I live in N.C. and use a midrange gas (89) and always get 40 and can get almost 50 if I try.:D Dean

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

36 - 38 mpg doesn't sound bad. I've got an 81 1100 interstate that had 70k on it when I bought it (I've since added about 3k more). I can get close to what you're seeing if I keep the tach steady (not a lot of stop and go or hills) and flat at or under 3,000 rpm. In 5th gear that's about 60. Through traffic and higher rpm's the mileage drops down under 30.

Even on a goldwing, i like to stop every hour and a half or 2 hours so it works out ok.

I am in the process of selling a suzuki c50 v-twin that would get 55mpg regardless of what I threw at it. But the rides don't compare!

happy trails

gravedigger

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I run the cheapest regular gas I can find, and get between 36-43 mpg. I haven't found any brand that works better. Speed and being in the right gear, makes more of a difference then what type or brand of gas is used imho.,,

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

Putt N along wrote:
Just curious, but I called the local Honda dealer near here and for a older Gold Wing (81 GL1100) they said they recommend using the premium higher octane (91-92 octane) without ethenol gas. I have used this for a few tanks now and it sure does seem to pop off better and also seems to be running great. What's the general consensus of this?? Thanks.
That's all I run in my bikes. Would never use ethanol. In the older bikes, 91-92 octane is a better way to go.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The gain in performance isn't due to the gas being 92 octane it's due to the lack of ethanol. Around here it costs about 60 cents per gallon over the ethanol laced stuff.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

If the super unleaded contains ethanol, that explains the difference. A gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline. In WI it costs 20 cents a gallon to get 'recreational' gas without the ethanol but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I run mostly Murphy 87 octane with the 10% and get 39-40 with mostly in town and 42-46 when mostly out on the road. In Oct I rode 567 miles to Push Mountain and back with speeds up to 80 and averaged 43 for the day. There are a couple stations around here that advertise non-ethanol, but I'm not sure it's true. I get better mileage with Murphy 10% than I do with their gas.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.