Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am very strongly thinking of getting the Gold Wing the GL1800 but I would like to know what is the mileage it gets...? Myself I am located in Canada so it would be nice to get the figures in Liters/Km.....but miles/Gallons will work as good to...I can always convert them to liters and Km's.

Here is my question: On a full tank what is the range you get per tank...?

Myself I ride some real long distances and gas stations can be few and far between so it would be nice to know what its range is per tank.

As well does anyone have a owners manual that could be emailed to me so that I could read up on this bike....?

Right now I have the VT750 shadow which I bought new just a few years ago and have taken it all over the place. Its got some serious mileage on it now...in the order of about 57,000...! Not bad for a 3 year old bike. Please reply directly to me if you can at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Lloyd wrote:
I am very strongly thinking of getting the Gold Wing the GL1800 but I would like to know what is the mileage it gets...?  Myself I am located in Canada so it would be nice to get the figures in Liters/Km.....but miles/Gallons will work as good to...I can always convert them to liters and Km's. 

Here is my question:  On a full tank what is the range you get per tank...? 

Myself I ride some real long distances and gas stations can be few and far between so it would be nice to know what its range is per tank.

As well does anyone have a owners manual that could be emailed to me so that I could read up on this bike....?

Right now I have the VT750 shadow which I bought new just a few years ago and have taken it all over the place. Its got some serious mileage on it now...in the order of about 57,000...!  Not back for a 3 year old bike.  Please reply directly to me if you can at [email protected]

Welcome to the best goldwing web site around.

It is very Dependant on how much you twist the right wrist - or is that left wrist over there.

I have a 2006 and can get over 400 kms to a tank keeping it at 100 kph or less :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks....well I am lay back type not heavy on the gas. On my VT750 shadow I get and this is averaged out over a few tanks with a careful log of Km's and gas used, and my shadow works out to get 27 Km's per liter of gas....or about 270 Km's to the tank. That is without the use of the REVS tank. I tend to ride long distance, so for me a trip of 400 Km's is a walk in the park as it would be...

I was bitten by the bug this summer.... I thought while I have my shadow in for its service I will try out a gold wing...BIG MISTAKE...! It was going tobe just a one hour test ride which turned into 6+ hours and I took it back just minutes before closing time. Now I want one...! Just like some drug junky, I got my first shot of a new drug called GoldWing, and I am hooked....LOL So its my plan to see what I can do to make it happen for this spring/summer. It better happen soon...I am already starting to have withdrawl pains....LOL I take it that you have the 25 liter tank size...right..???

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Lloyd wrote:
I take it that you have the 25 liter tank size...right..???
Yes they come in various sizes 25 litres, 6.6 us gallons and 5.5 imp gallons. All of which are the same.

There is basically no reserve although a light come on when you have 80 odd kilometres to go.

I was going to suggest "not" taking one for a run unless you want to buy. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

To late....! I took one out....it was only going to be a one hour test ride...and it turned into 6+ hours and just got it back to the shop as they were closing up and about the lock the doors.

Bloody bike....it should come with a warning sticker on it..... Now I am addicted to it...and want one....like right BLOODY NOW...!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What type of gas is best for it...? Regular or what...?? What works best for it...and what else can you tell me about the 2008 ~ 2009 GoldWings...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yep take one of those for a ride and it is bad on your financial situation. :D They all get 40 miles to the gallon plus or minus one or two, more if you gap the plugs to the max of .043. Do not know how to compare the miles to the Kilometers and KPA'S.

Not much to say really if you have ridden one. Has instant throttle response, perfect brakes, great balance. Comfort and size.

The only changes to the 09 has been a tire pressure monitor system, a few colors, and a couple other minor things that I cannot remember.

I had the Honda Shadow VT1100, it had over 120,000 miles on it, was still going strong.
But the Wing will totally spoil you, I used to ride the Shadow and the Harley bikes, bought a Yamaha Venture, then made the same mistake, this salesman gave me one for the weekend.

I think he knew the outcome.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

07 GL 1800 with now 16,000 miles.

Went from FL to MI twice this year and averaged about 43 to 45 by the speedo.

GPS is slightly less. I usually pull over at 200 miles and fill up. (70 -75 MPH)

Shell regular. Heavy Techron treatment just before the oil change.

42 psi frt and 46 psi rr.Stones that came with the bike.

Thinking about going around Lakes Huron and Superior next summer, August.

Looking for trip comments.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ok, so based on your figures of 43 to 45 miles to the gallon this is how it works out when converted to Km’s and Liters

18.2 Km’s ~ to ~ 19.05 Km’s / per liter of gas.

25 liter tank size ~ range is 455 to 476 ( averaged is 465 Km’s per tank ) “{run dry}”

So useful worry free range without having to push you bike next gas station would then be in the order of about 380 to 400 Km’s to the tank.

Hell I can live with that very well…! My shadow gets a worry free useful range of 250 to 285 Km’s per tank. Its going to be sooooo nice to have a gas gauge for a change. Up till now my shadows gas gauge has been the trip counter which I reset to “ 0 “ when I fill up and when I hit 180 ~ 200 Km’s, it time to start looking.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

One more question for all of you. I have read here and there on the net from other GL1800 Gold Wing owners that they got better mileage after the bike hit the 5,000 mile and up point… Is there any truth to this…??? I have heard it a few times that when its new the MPG is not so great and gets better after the break in and so on…. What your take on this…?

When you bought yours new did the MPG change in time after break in….

Attachments

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

LLoyd,
You can expect your mileage most of the time to be 40ish mpg. This last summer I had a low of 36 mpg (commuting in the city) to a high of 44.7 mpg cruising the backroads. I have all purchases on an excel spreadsheet so it all averages out and is accurate.
Joe

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

This is good to know. After all what is a bike worth if it eats the gas so bad that you need to have a gas station in tow to go out on a longer trip....right? But given the size and weight of the bike I can live with those figures of mid 30' in the city and low to mid 40's on the highway. I wonder has anyone tried those Iridium spark plugs like those from NGK...? I have tried them on my shadow and my engine likes them, starts easier when very cold and runs smoother when cold and seems to give better get up and go when I crank on the gas fast. Mileage wise....it might help a little but I can not see anything worth noteing...only that engine proforms a little better with them, then with the standard plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I was very interested in Kit's comment about better gas mileage if plugs are gapped to 043.

Please come and explain Kit.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
I was very interested in Kit's comment about better gas mileage if plugs are gapped to 043.

Please come and explain Kit.
More fire in the hole, bigger spark, better burn. With the 1800 and its good ignition system you will get 2 to 5 mpg more with setting the plug gap to the max setting.

Just one of those things I picked up at last falls workshop with our club. Lot of the same bikes ,same year, and various fuel mileage.

One of the guys told us about that, and I figured he was full of it. But decided to try it and it gained me about 2 mpg. I had always set the gap to the min setting figured as they errode and wear they would last longer between settings. But have found within the 8000 to 12000 mile range, the plugs seem to stay just about where they were when installed new. (pretty sure they will go to 24,000 if you want )

Try it next time you install new plugs, guarantee you it works.

Kit

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I only check my plugs at 32000 and they still look good :grinner:

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I will comment on this and try to explain the difference between small gap and larger gaps and how it all works. If you set a plug with a small gap you get a shorter spark, not in time…only in length of spark. However this shorter gap will produce a HOTTER spark, but a small one. With a plug with a bigger gap you get a longer but COOLER spark but you now have a greater surface area of spark to ignite the air fuel mix. Hence this is why the Honda Shadow has “ 2 “ spark plugs for each cylinder and gets better mileage…. It gives the gas a better source to ignite and produce more and smoother power. Test it out for yourself….remove one lead from each plug on a Shadow and you will see and hear the RPM’s drop….ride it now and you will feel that its lost some of its zip…! All piston aircraft engines have “ 2 “ plugs per cylinder….plus it’s a safety thing for aircraft as well. When you start such an aircraft up….you do what’s called a MAG drop. This is shutting down one MAG and running on only “1” plug per cylinder, then switch both on, then do a MAG drop on the other one. Left and Right MAGS. Then back to both….now your ready for take off. When you do these mag drops, you can hear and feel and see the RPM drop for yourself, as well as feel the engine not run as smooth with only one plug running per cylinder. But there is limit to how far you can open up the gap! To much gap and the spark gets for a lack of a better way of putting it and not more simple way of putting it…..the spark get blown away by the super high speed of air and fuel swirling in cylinder just before its ignited. And no spark takes place…like blowing a candle out.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Here is a interesting little clip you might want to have a look at. Its the inside of engine cylinder that is running. Note how the spank happenes and time goes by "before" the mix full ignites This is way a engine is set to fire the spark BTDC ( before top dead center ) by a few degrees and the faster ( higher the RPM's ) the greater the degrees of spark must be before TDC. Now look at which the gas mix is entering and think out how fast that stuff is swerling about in there even after the intake valve is closed. This will give you a idea of what a important job a spark plug has to do and how very harsh of an inviroment it has to do it in. Super hot from the fire one second....next second being hit with cold air and gas over and over again. Now think about this playing out 3,000 times each and every minute...super hot then cold air and gas being sprayed on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEf8va1S7Sw

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hi Lloyd, I have a new GL1800. Only managed to put 4000 kms on it so far. I generally check fuel used each time I fill up. The most I seem to use is 6.6litres/100kms. Or as you expressed it this would be 15.2 kms/litre of gas.Our roads in N.Z. have heaps of corners, b****r all straight bits & an over abundance of speed cameras most everywhere. Our speed limit on the open road is mostly 100km/hr with 80 km/hr stretches here & there. The above fuel usage figures are when we are riding in a cop free zone (hopefully) & are seriously on & off the throttle. More normal 100 - 110 km/hr riding on S.H.1 returns a little better economy, but not radically. I'm told by the dealers to use super fuel where I can, i.e. 95 or 98. I sometimes use regular 91 octane as my boat runs on it & I often have some spare in a can. I can't tell the difference between them on the road & at only 4000 kms on the clock it's far too soon to know if i'm inflicting some long term damage on the engine. Perhaps some of you long termers can give me some guidance on this.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks for the info. A good mid grade gas should be good enough. 15.2 per liter...I see you are heavy on the gas. But I have heard...mind you its just talk, but I have heard that after about 10,000+ Km's the bike is broken in and gets a little better on the gas....as I said that just talk. I hope to be finding out all that when I get mine this coming spring/summer...with luck! It seems everytime I get close to saying today is the day...something always seems to come up that delays or puts it on the back burner on getting one. And you can bet on one thing, and that is from day one I will be loging the KM's to fuel used so that I can average it all out over many types of roads and....steep mountain riding to just open and flat. I have some serious trips in mind when I get the gold wing...and I want to know just what to expect for km's to the tank. I have been trying to talk a few of the other at work that ride into taking a group trip this late summer....to Mexico for a little fun in the sun...and would ride there and back. This to will be seen when the time comes...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.