Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think the rumors about as the bike gains some miles it gets better fuel mileage are just that rumors. I noticed no change in fuel mileage since day one, and there are so many variables with the way people ride, I suppose it is impossible to know for sure, but in my case it has held steady since the first mile.

My bike got 42.3 miles per gallon new, and still did six months later. It now gets 46.7 miles per gallon due to the gap on the plugs and the rear tire I run. Which one exactly does what I am not totally sure of, as I started playing with both about the same time. And I use a Garmin 550 and a calculator to determine this accurately as when one messes with the rear tire, one messes with true odometer readings too. But most of the time I do not worry about it, but did that just to know.

Kit

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Is that a car tire you have on there Kit. Also if i keep it between 60/65 mph i get about 48mpg. If i ride 70/75mph it drops to the low 40's. Also i run 87 octane down here in Texas, sometimes i use 89. right now gas is $1.50 a gallon down here, how bout where you live?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Wild Turkey wrote:
Is that a car tire you have on there Kit. Also if i keep it between 60/65 mph i get about 48mpg. If i ride 70/75mph it drops to the low 40's. Also i run 87 octane down here in Texas, sometimes i use 89. right now gas is $1.50 a gallon down here, how bout where you live?
Shhhhhhh!! A CT? Not telling. :) Well mpg is really not important to me, but as I am curious about those things I do check it once in awhile. Mine will not get 48 even if I get off and push. Used on a leisurely ride 50 to 65 it will get a bit over 46, take it out on the big slab and pour the throttle to it and it gets 39.

I run low grade 87 octane and gas around here is at the moment $1.43 I checked mine with a Garmin GPS and have not put much faith in the odometer, as it is a little bit off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

To put the gas thing in perspective, Honda recommend a pump octane number of 86 or higher.

In practical terms, use the lowest octane you can without experiencing 'knocking' ('pinging' pre-ignition), because the lower octane contains a higher proportion of more volatile compounds and will start easier.

Mine devours 87 octane at about 46 mi per US gall, when it's running (-30 C out now!).

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

English Bob Wrote:

Mine devours 87 octane at about 46 mi per US gall, when it's running (-30 C out now!).

YO...HOLD THE PHONE a second.... Am I reading this right...are you riding in temps of ( -30C ).....???

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I get around 42 MPG if I keep the RPM below 3000.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Wild Turkey wrote:
:(Wow!!! $1.50 a gallon????? We are currently paying $1.45 per LITRE!!!:(:( At our current conversion rate of $US0.53 for $NZ1.00 your $US1.50 would only buy 2.83 litres over here. I think your U.S. gallon is approx 4 litres to us. When we talk gallons here we use the British measure, ie one British gallon equals approx 4 1/2 litres. SOMEONES getting shafted by the fuel companies....... think it may be me.:?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
imported post

1 US Gallon is... 3.78 liters

1 Imp Gallon is... 4.55 liters

And at this time here in Vancouver Canada we are paying 89.9 cents per liter. Not so long ago it was about $1.37 per liter. But they are playing games with us here...one minute its 72 cents.....30 minutes later its 94 cents....then 20 minutes later its 80 something....its all over the place...

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

So..... if you guys over there are getting low to mid forties per U.S. gallon (3.78 L), I think I should just shut up as I get similar m.p.g. but thats an imperial gallon (4.55 L). Must be something to do with riding on the left hand side of the road I suppose over here. Bike gets confused or something.:? Hey, :doh:just thought of something. If your gallon is different to ours, stands to reason that our miles must be a different measurement as well. :gunhead: Have a nice day.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

Here is a thought…just a thought mind you, but I see it as being a real reason for different mileage results. ( in part ) Now try and follow me on this, I am not sure just how to best express this…but I am sure you will figure it out as I try to beat this subject to death….well maybe not death….you get the idea…

Now what is gas…well without getting into all the heavy duty chemical stuff and all that…how do we measure the power of gas or a fuel or what ever it is that is to be burned…? In BTU’s ( British thermal units ) a measurement like that of calories which is also a measurement of heat or work given…right…? Now lets say for example that my gas here per gives lets say 30,000 BTU’s for a liter of standard gas…I have no idea what it would be…just using the 30,000 as for example number….thats all. Now let say that where you are, your gas being refined a little differently or lack of fuel additives or has some extra ones or whatever has your gas giving for the same liter only…lets say 27,000 BTU’s ….then it would stand to reason that you would have to open up your throttle that much more to get the same amount of work done in a given time as my gas would give….following me so far….?

What I am trying to boil it all down to is just this…What if you gas has less energy in it then mine….so the way I see it…you would have give it more gas…hence burn more to get the same power or work done within a set time. While someone that has gas that has a higher BTU per liter output would need to open the throttle that much less…hence they get better Miles per gallon then that of a lower BTU fuel. Just a thought mind you. And then there is always one other unknown….that being the engine its self. No two engine are the same…this was very true of cars in from the 20’s right up to the mid 60’s and even later. Some cars had a personality all there own….you could have two cars same make and model side by side and one engine had a personality different from that of the other one…

Now as for you driving on the WRONG side of the road….well that’s a whole other subject in its self…..LOL. As for the miles being different….well if you have your bike fitted with pontoons then….I guess the miles would be different…and would be in Knots. Same if you were flying…as in air born….LOL. Which I am sure the local cops and the airport would not approve of…. LOL…..

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

We just added another 1800 to our family. The Dealer stressed that the engine is tuned for 87 octane. I don't know if that is absolutely true but bringing the new onehome from Oklahoma, I had strong headwinds, traveling on cruise at 75 MPH, and pulled into the gas station at 207 miles and got 42 MPG. Drove 1 mile home and put her in the garage. The snow and ice has been here ever since. That was 8 days ago......I am getting tired of Winter!:p

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Lloyd;

I rode to Vancouver this summer. Gas mileage was 40-45 miles/Cnd gallon. Or around 15-16 kms/litre. Travelling at 120-140 km/hr. Bridgestones 41/41.

Stopped in Kelowna and bought a used tent trailer from Rich Sopel. He runs a small one-man shop out of his house. Exclusively Gold Wings. Great guy, very knowledgeable about Wings. If you want to contact him, his email address is [email protected]. Phone 250-764-7693, cell 250-215-2553. His specialty is Traxxion suspension. If you get an 1800, you might want to consider Traxxion (or Progressive) and All Balls bearing. And lots of other goodies - fog lights, CB, Utopia backrest, chrome, chrome and more chrome........the list is endless.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Lloyd wrote:
Now what is gas…well without getting into all the heavy duty chemical stuff and all that…how do we measure the power of gas or a fuel or what ever it is that is to be burned…? In BTU’s ( British thermal units ) a measurement like that of calories which is also a measurement of heat or work given…right…? Now lets say for example that my gas here per gives lets say 30,000 BTU’s for a liter of standard gas…I have no idea what it would be…just using the 30,000 as for example number….thats all. Now let say that where you are, your gas being refined a little differently or lack of fuel additives or has some extra ones or whatever has your gas giving for the same liter only…lets say 27,000 BTU’s ….then it would stand to reason that you would have to open up your throttle that much more to get the same amount of work done in a given time as my gas would give….following me so far….?

:cheeky1:
Okay, I'm following your drift here.

I think it is also to do with "volumetrics". All of us have the same volume (1832) so it would depend on whether you are at sea level or altitude. The higher you go the less air available for mixing with the fuel.

Taking this into account, us southern hemisphere people are hanging upside down, so we need more power to hold the wheels on the ground. This coupled with the economy and global warming mean we have to use more fuel to achieve the same distance. Now I have not included politicians in this equation as that is a whole new ball game.

The more I think of this, it is related to how tight the undies are when you twist the throttle. :jumper:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

I HAVE A 07 1800 I GO 85 MILES ROUND TRIP TO WORK GOING ABOUT 70 MPH GET 38 TO 40 MPG I HOPE I GET BETTER NEXT YEAR.I HAVE5200 MILES ON HER AND SHE A DREAM COME TRUE

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Lloyd
I have an 02 GL1800 with 24,000+ on it. I have put 21,000 miles on it in 2 years since I have owned it.
On a summer trip to San Antonio, TX from Washington State, using cruise control most of the time and taking secondary roads at an average speed of 60mph I averaged just under 49mpg.
On the return trip utilizing freeways and averaging over 70mph my mileage dropped to 43-45mpg. I use regular gasoline on long trip, but around town on short trip put in the medium grade.
Hope that helps.
Keith

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
imported post

WOW...that sounds great. So then I guess it would safe to say that the gold wing engine likes lower REV's for best all around MPG then. When I get mine...soon I hope...I would be very happy with 44 to 49 MPG. Here in Canada our highways and freeways are in most part all have speed limits of 100 Km/H which is 60 MPH. We only have one highway here that I can recall that has a 110 Km/h limit...that is 65 MPH. However if there is no cops around on highways...the speeds tend to be in the 140 Km/h on many ( about 80 MPH ) And the odd time I have had my doors blown off by a few doing well over 170 Km/h. Rare mind you...but there are few out there that really have to push it...and there luck as well. In most part when I ride I tend to find that I am doing 100 to 130 Km/h ( 60 to about 75 MPH ) with 65 to 70 MPH being the hard average 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Best I get is 46MPG worst is 36MPG. The 36MPG is knee draging in the twisties with some of my wild and crazy buddies. Normal riding I'm pretty steady between 40 + 42 MPG.

Altitude,temp and speed all effect gas mileage more on EFI bikes then carb bikes.

Good luck with your choice of motorcycle..

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Hi I have a 2008 Wing last year we rode down to southern France from England a trip of approx 700 miles on the run dowm reduced speed due to 17 hours of continus heavy rain we averaged 50 MPG on the return trip cruising at 75-80 MPH we averaged 44 MPG.
Conclusion use of right hand and road conditions make a difference on the same bike on the same run.
As do tyre pressures bike maintenance ect.

side note a 17 hour ride in the rain and hail is still better than any trip in a tin box (car):18black:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.