Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

ROCK APE wrote:
Hi I have a 2008 Wing last year we rode down to southern France from England a trip of approx 700 miles on the run dowm reduced speed due to 17 hours of continus heavy rain we averaged 50 MPG on the return trip cruising at 75-80 MPH we averaged 44 MPG.
Conclusion use of right hand and road conditions make a difference on the same bike on the same run.
As do tyre pressures bike maintenance ect.

side note a 17 hour ride in the rain and hail is still better than any trip in a tin box (car):18black:

Interesting, you mention right hand and road conditions, could you expand on this issue? Also if known, what is the fuel composition, real gas or other?

Sounds like a great trip.

Ned

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I know/see this is an old thread, but ....

Couldn't give you exact figures, but I know when I was riding with ponymanr (who rides a 1800) and we pulled in to get gas (typically after riding 285km/180mi), his 1800 would always take at least 1 gallon of fuel less than mine (I typically average 38mpg(US), overall), so I would say that with a 1800, 400km/2500mi per tank is easily had (depending of course on your right wrist 'action').

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I know/see this is an old thread, but   ....

Couldn't give you exact figures, but I know when I was riding with ponymanr (who rides a 1800) and we pulled in to get gas (typically after riding 285km/180mi), his 1800 would always take at least 1 gallon of fuel less than mine  (I typically average 38mpg(US), overall), so I would say that with a 1800, 400km/2500mi per tank is easily had (depending of course on your right wrist 'action'). 

Dusty
I have been getting 38-41MPG with the 1800 at speed and curious as to what it should be.

Ned

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I average around 45mpg with mine and I've seen as high as 50, but that was going down hill with the wind pushing me, literally. I've never gone farther than 230 on a tank though. I just haven't felt like pushing it that far to test if the fuel light would come on. lol.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I read an article in a mag the other day that was saying the 1800 on a test run got about 250k per tank. I wondered how they had been riding as I regularly get 350 k before having to gas up. I'm running mine on 98 oct. Also read that putting a higher octane than the manufacturer recommends is of no advantage unless the bike has knock sensors. Since the wing has and the bike runs really nice, I'm sticking with it. I think it was wikipedia that said the 1800 should get between 250 and upto 400k out of a tank of gas. With a bike like the 1800, its so nice to ride I'm not overly worried about the gas consumption. I just know its better that a car.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Mine ranges from 35 to 50 depending on roads and speed. I can get 50mpg consistantly on slower roads traveling 65mph or less. Small amounts of city riding mixed in still close to 50mpg. It's when the speed goes up the mileage drops. I did my BBG3000 ride last summer and pretty much held 83mph on the GPS or about 86 or so according to the Honda and got between 35-40mpg for 3000 miles in 45hrs on the road. So to be safe figure 200 miles between gas, but I can go 250 most the time easilly if not pushing too hard.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Mine goes from 34 MPG at 75 mph pulling a trailer to 50.2 best ever at 50/60 mph (no trailer).
It's when my speed goes up the mileage drops, I can go 250 miles on a fill up. I get better if I keep the RPM below 3000, I run 87 octane but sometimes use the 89 octane it does a little better with the 89 I also ride on the double dark side 44 psi rear 34 psi front.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.