Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently acquired a 82 aspencade. I love it, except for the problem the previous owner left me with. The first two tanks of fuel I have ran through it get me between 25 and 30 mpg. However, that involved a lot of heat cycles in the garage due to a water pump replacement and the following 6 water pump reinstalls to get the leaks fixed and a few fuel leaks found in the morning. but I got it now. I know I can expect better mileage, but how much? Also, it seems like it revs pretty high for a highway bike. 4200 rpm at 70 mph. But where it is a shaft drive, there is not anything you can do about that is there? maybe a different tire?

thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Brother, sounds like you've had your hands full... IMO, 25-30 for a full dresser seems about average for an 1100. I wouldn't sweat it. My current ride, an '80 Goldwing has a 2 barrel Holley on it, no additional garbage, and gets about 40 mpg on a good day (when I don't have a heavy throttle hand). Goldwings are not the most "gas friendly" motorcycles in my opinion. Others may say different, but that's been my experience.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

jlparker77,

Looking at the bright side, you produce your Maximum HP at 7000 RPM which would put you right at 117 MPH. For a fully loaded bike to punch such a large hole into the turbulent wind out on the interstate, it is thrilling to have all that power readily availble at the flick of the wrist. But I do agree that if you like to cruise at 70, it would be nice to have the option of one more overdrive to shift to.

As far as MPG, your mileage may vary, but when everything is right and when you can consistantly keep it below 4000 rpm, most people are getting either high 30's or touching the low 40's on MPG. I am not so sure about the 1100, but with what I have been reading, it should at least be in the mid 30's.

Welcome to the site, I am as new here are you are.

Tony

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Most 1100's will get over 40 mpg consistently if tuned and driven right. Sounds like some one needs a carb sync done.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

the 1100's get about 40 to 50 mpg up to 80 mph. if nt, you need carb work

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I will try to get a sync done soon. The way it's running now would tell me not to tear into the carbs, but you just never know. I can't find a stumble anywhere in it. Any rpm(except too low, then it rattles a little) in any gear you can go to wide open and it just pulls smooth. I did just find that it had three correct spark plugs in it and the fourth was some off number that i guess would just thread in the hole. The electrode was noticeably shorter than the right ones. But the color was good on the other three. that one was a bit darker.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,961 Posts
imported post

Hi JL,

If the bike is running well I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. I think you'll find that it gets mid to high 30s on longer rides. That's about right for a 'Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Just checked mileage on my GL1200 after all the work I've done. First tank at variable speeds gave me right at 38 mpg. And that included one ride of about 40 miles with the choke half way engaged!(And I was wondering why she wouldn't idle at the stop lights :D). I expect to boost that a couple more mpg with a carb synch.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Some time, some Seafoam, and a carb synch will probably go a long way to better mileage. Stay off the super slab too. Mine started out like yours but the more I ride it the better it gets. If I stay on the backroads and at less than 4K rpms I can expect mid 40s even two up. When I hit the superslab it will drop into the mid to high 30s

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I am gonna head out now for a quick hundred mile trip. This will be the first one where I can fuel before and after and just ride in between so this will be a good judgement. thanks for all the info so far, I will report back when I am home again.

thanks
jade

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

My '82 Aspy gets about 30 mph. I'm sure a carb sync and some other tune ups would be helpful, but hey, it's 2x the mpg of my Suburban.:)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I get roughly 35-40mpg with my 83i cruising backroads at 60mph.

Bring along a GPS if you can. Speedometers can be inaccurate, giving false MPG readings.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

ok, I am back and clocked 95.4 miles on the odo and pumped 2.393 gallons. Giving me 39.8 odd miles per. Running between 60 and 70 most of the time. a few mountain passes. lots of curves. I think I can live with that. Oh, and on premium fuel. 91 octane is the highest we can get up here. Something to do with the elevation.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You don't need the higher octane gas, waste of money and doesn't improve anything.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

oh yeah? i don't run premium in a lot of things unless there is a good reason. The little sticker on the frame said to run 91 so i thought I would try it, but I probably won't if it doesn't help any. 85 or 87 octane is plenty then? no problems with predetonation? Is everyone in agreement about that?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

The gps is a great tip on checking gas mileage. Going to check mine first chance I get. I currently get 35 mpg running around 60 mph. Oh, and that is with sick caurbs. I have a no load miss that drives me crazy. If you put it unddr a load it runs smoooooooooth. But at a staady throttle is just kinda spudders along. I need more than seafoam though. I think its ready for the old caurbs to be completely rebuilt. Can't wait to see the improvement.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

My 1100 does 39-43mpg in city and highway combined and usually around 44-45mpg on the Natchez Trace doing steady 55mph. I consider it darn good compared to my Nissan. Doing a check at this tank since trying a few things.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Sounds like mine is pretty close to where it needs to be then. I will run it a while and see what it does.

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Since my carb rebuild I'm getting 33-36, but that's all just going to work and back 6 miles each way. I haven't had a chance to do a long run, but I'd expect better on the highway. I'm kind of heavy handed right now. I'm sure I could milk 40+ if I tried. I think you're right in the ballpark.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Wow, outofcontrol putting that bike in tha back of that truck loolds to be interesting...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.