Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have searched this site and I could not find the answer so I was hoping someone out there could give me an answer. I just bought a 2003 1800abs wing and I was wondering about the gas mileage i could expect around town and on the highway.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

On the motorways I've had as good as 50 or 52mpg (that's UK gallons). City riding varies between low to mid 30's, sometimes as low as 26mpg.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I just went on a 600 mile trip on my GL1200 and the GL1800 that was riding behind me and pulling a trailer got just slightly less gas mileage than I did, so, I would say that the 1800 is very close to the other Gold Wings in fuel economy and possibly a bit better on the highway.

I'd like to hear more on this from other GL1800 owners.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Is the 1800 fuel injected? Interesting that an engine 50% bigger gets about the same mileage. Wish I could do that with my truck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

The GL1800 is fuel injected. My milage has been in the lower 40's on the highway and upper 30's in the city.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
Is the 1800 fuel injected? Interesting that an engine 50% bigger gets about the same mileage. Wish I could do that with my truck!
It is computerized fuel injected so that can help mileage substantially if the bike is driven gently and you also need to consider the better aerodynamics as well as the radial tires which all add up to better overall fuel economy.

One of the amazing things about the 1800 is that you can shift into 5th gear and pretty much leave it there without needing to do a lot of downshifting like you would on a 1200. Keeping the engine rpm's low also helps make for better fuel economy. Honda also uses mechanical lifters and who knows what else internally on the 1800 to help take maximum advantage of the fuel it burns.

There are most likely several things you could do to your truck to help the fuel economy in the same way as Honda did with the GL1800. Streamlining, tire type and inflation, camshaft profiles, efficient exhaust systems, computerized fuel injection systems, etc. etc., it all depends on how much you want to spend to save fuel expenses.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
One of the amazing things about the 1800 is that you can shift into 5th gear and pretty much leave it there without needing to do a lot of downshifting like you would on a 1200.
I think that's more a characteristic of the six cylinder engine. It's pretty much the same with the 1500, I can slow down to 25mph and pull right back up to highway speed in 5th gear. From 35mph and up there's no need to drop out of 5th unless you want fast acceleration for a quick pass or such. But for normal riding there's not much shifting needed, even rather steep hills. I also like the fact that the engine's turning less than 3200rpm at 70mph. Low piston travel per mile.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

It'sa well-known fact in the car trade that more cylinders= much more grunt in all gears. Imagine a Goldwing with 8 cylinders and about 2000cc's, you could probably take off in3rd gear and shift up to 5th and leave it there.

exavid wrote:
Goldwinger1984 wrote:
One of the amazing things about the 1800 is that you can shift into 5th gear and pretty much leave it there without needing to do a lot of downshifting like you would on a 1200.
I think that's more a characteristic of the six cylinder engine. It's pretty much the same with the 1500, I can slow down to 25mph and pull right back up to highway speed in 5th gear. From 35mph and up there's no need to drop out of 5th unless you want fast acceleration for a quick pass or such. But for normal riding there's not much shifting needed, even rather steep hills. I also like the fact that the engine's turning less than 3200rpm at 70mph. Low piston travel per mile.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

mike149 wrote:
I have searched this site and I could not find the answer so I was hoping someone out there could give me an answer. I just bought a 2003 1800abs wing and I was wondering about the gas mileage i could expect around town and on the highway.
mike, I have just completed a 11,000 kms trip with speeds ranging from 60 kph to 180 kph and averaged 5.26 litre per 100 km. :cool:

The bike was fully loaded in saddlebags and topbox plus bag on passenger seat. Tire pressures where 39 front 41 rear checked daily:clapper:

Now someone can work that out :?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

globetrotter wrote:
mike149 wrote:
mike, I have just completed a 11,000 kms trip with speeds ranging from 60 kph to 180 kph and averaged 5.26 litre per 100 km. :cool:

The bike was fully loaded in saddlebags and topbox plus bag on passenger seat. Tire pressures where 39 front 41 rear checked daily:clapper:

Now someone can work that out :?

About 43 miles per US gallon. That is exactly what I got at my last fillup. Half was single-half was two up.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Guys. I just went on a 250 mile trip and I got 42mpg so I guess I am right in there. Being new to my wing I wanted to know if everything was up to specs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, seems to be a common mileage range for the bike regardless of model, I just finished a 2500 mile trip and a 3400 mile run in May and averaged around 42 mpg with my 1500. Solo with all gear stuffed into the three bags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.