Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After a ride the bike smells like it has a fuel leak.

At first I thought it was floats, but I have been turning the gas off about a mile from home so the level in the carbs should be too low to be running over into the crankcase. I can't find any evidence of a leak on any of the hoses or the float bowls.

I remember reading, on this forum, something about fuel blowing back into the air box, but I can't find that thread.

Any clues?

·
751 Posts
imported post

I don`t think im gonna be of any help cause I have a gl1500 & when I had a fuel smell it was the petcock which isnt manual it actually was the hose that attched to it ! Id be looking for leaks under the bike ! Oh you might check the gas cap Ive seen on here that the seal on the cap can go bad!goodluck

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hi Dennis. I was thinking a poor seal on the gas cap, too. Try riding for a bit and after shutting the bike down open the cap and see if you hear the vaccuum release.

With all the problems you have been having with the carbs, I would also think it is possible that something along the fuel system came loose.

Or, you stepped in some gas at your last fillup....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

No external fuel leaks. This has been going on a few months and I've searched for a sourcemany, manytimes. The only thing left, it seems, is the fuel blowing back into the air box and saturating the air cleaner. It smells pretty strong of fuel.

I hadn't thought of the gas cap being at fault. Too simple. I'll give it a look-see.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Mine smells like gas right after a ride. It's especially strong if I close the garage door right after parking it. I've always thought it was normal because it doesn't last long and once it goes away, it stays away until the next time I park it.

On a related note, I stopped for gas once and discovered it's entirely possible to put the gas cap back on cocked. I was rolling down the road and the gas fumes were over whelming. I pulled over to look for a leak and found none but did notice the fumes were coming from the gas door area. You can feel that it's cocked by running your fingers right under the cap edge. I put the cap on correctly and all was well. To this day, I always double check the cap when I gas up.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
No external fuel leaks. This has been going on a few months and I've searched for a sourcemany, manytimes. The only thing left, it seems, is the fuel blowing back into the air box and saturating the air cleaner. It smells pretty strong of fuel.

I hadn't thought of the gas cap being at fault. Too simple. I'll give it a look-see.

You've been chasing carb gremlins for a few months also, right?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i had the same issue on my 1100 and it was the fuel valve on #3 cylinder i forget what it was exactly called accelerator pump i think it only leaked on throttle snaping check around the #3 cylinder i dont know if the 1200 has the same thing

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

You've been chasing carb gremlins for a few months also, right?
Yeah, and I at first thought the twowere related, and they may well be...The running issue is a sync problem. The #3 carb linkage is worn out from the cruise control being attached/pulling from there. When the carbs are synced at idle they go way out of sync just off idle. What I've done issynced them slightly off idle to run well, making it idle like crap but workbetter in traffic.

The fumes seem like something else. I know I read something, somewhere about gas blowing back into the plenum or air box. It seems like it would cause backfiring and I don't have that problem, but I'm just reaching for possible answers.

Like I said, at first I thought it was a float mis-adjusted but I've kind of ruled that out with the "turn off the gas" trick.

At this point, nothing would surprise me though.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem with my '99 1500. Don't think it was running for a year or two. Got it with flat tires no air in the shocks and a 4lb air filter when I changed it.
I cleaned the top of the tank face and put a very light oil coating on the cap gasket and the tank neck ramps. No more gas smell. Easy enough to give it a try or you might need a new gasket.
Learning about a 1500 really fast. That kind of stuff drives you nuts.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Black57 wrote:
Had the same problem with my '99 1500. Don't think it was running for a year or two. Got it with flat tires no air in the shocks and a 4lb air filter when I changed it.
I cleaned the top of the tank face and put a very light oil coating on the cap gasket and the tank neck ramps. No more gas smell. Easy enough to give it a try or you might need a new gasket.
Learning about a 1500 really fast. That kind of stuff drives you nuts.
Another gas cap response? Maybe you guys are on to something.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Hi Dennis....definitly check your gas cap before going anywhere else.

I experienced the same problem...then it went away...then itcame backagain...now it's gone.

Call me crazy but all I did was look at my gas cap and saw that the arrow on the top was pointing toward me when locked....took cap off, refastened it with the arrow pointing forward...away from me...also noticed noair soundafter riding til I correctly installed cap....something to do with the venting, I guess. :shock::baffled: At any rate, odor is gone completely....that was over 6 months ago/:clapper::action:

Good Luck !

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Hi Blue,

GL12 cap doesn't have an arrow.

I pulled the cap earlier and got a good hiss. Oiled the whole thing well (cap and tank spout) and put the cap back on. When I went to look for an arrow, It hissed again. Not as much but it still hissed, without being ridden.

The seal itself seems good, no tears or cracks, but it is 22 years old. And that's Arizona years, so, the seal may be getting too hard, but if there was a leak there I don't think it would retain pressure. But I don't really know...some here say it shouldn't hiss. This one has hissed since day one.

The smell seems like it's coming from the air cleaner to me.

Well, game 4 is on, so I'm TV bound.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

** Have you recently changed out the fuel filter?? Just an idea...??? It was my fuel odor, after the ride..

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Hi Blue,

GL12 cap doesn't have an arrow.

I pulled the cap earlier and got a good hiss. Oiled the whole thing well (cap and tank spout) and put the cap back on. When I went to look for an arrow, It hissed again. Not as much but it still hissed, without being ridden.

The seal itself seems good, no tears or cracks, but it is 22 years old. And that's Arizona years, so, the seal may be getting too hard, but if there was a leak there I don't think it would retain pressure. But I don't really know...some here say it shouldn't hiss. This one has hissed since day one.

The smell seems like it's coming from the air cleaner to me.

Well, game 4 is on, so I'm TV bound.

Mine always hissed, too.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Grab some fireplace matches and snoop around!!

;)

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on mine after doing a seafoam treatment. It cleaned the carb so well it started to leak. It took about three tries of removing and reinstalling the carb before i found a small leak in the float bowl gasket. It doesnt take much of a leak to create the big smell.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

84AspJimCalif wrote:
** Have you recently changed out the fuel filter?? Just an idea...??? It was my fuel odor, after the ride..
Changed it in June.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

dennis
i had same thing on my 82 1100.took cap off and soaked in sea foam.and all is well

alan.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My GL1000 smelled up the garage, While the engine was running I checked the weep hole on the bottom of the fuel pump and sure enough it was wet. Apparently only leaking while riding. No more stinky after new pump was installed.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

On my '89, had strong gas smell after riding.
The shop found a plastic gas line connection which is 2 different sizes in/out which was cracked.
Was able to get new one BACK ORDER, so the use copper pipe & made a replacement.

Skip20

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.