Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Help guys, I recently noticed my fuel petcock leaking on the 98. I have never rebuilt one. Is it hard?Are there instructions anywhere? My moto shop has akit to rebuild it for 30.98. Is that about right? I appreciate all of the help ....maybe one day I can return the favor.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The vacuum petcocks do tend to leak if the diaphragm gets holed. It only takes a pinhole in it to emit strong gasoline odors. Rebuilding isn't a difficult job, you can look on Motogrid or Honda Directline on the internet to see what prices are so you can judge your dealer's mark up.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

When I was younger and stupider I had a stealer replace one without asking the price and they ripped me one by charging $130. for the part. Later I checked online line and the rebuild kit was $12 and change. If I remember correctly there is only a couple rubber seals and a spring to rebuild the thing.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I got a rebuild kit for $13.00 + shipping from here: http://tinyurl.com/bc5c9h

I was running rich, and wanted to eliminate a potential problem.

. . . . . turns out - my bike doesn't seem to have a petcock at all.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

All Goldwings up through the 1500 have petcocks. The 1500 is different in that it's automatically operated by vacuum and it's located on top of the tank forward of the filler neck.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for your help guys. I went to the web site and looked at the rebuild kits for the fuel petcock. None were for a 1998 SE Goldwing... only 91-95
Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

J.C.Whitney

Sirius Consolidated Inc.

2places you can get the K & L kits for about 24 bucks.

I did mine with one and have no problems

Just make sure you get the diaphragm sitting flat with the spring tension when you put the two halves back together.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Thanks for your help guys. I went to the web site and looked at the rebuild kits for the fuel petcock. None were for a 1998 SE Goldwing... only 91-95
Any other ideas?
I just looked up the part numbers for the petcock at Motogrid and Honda Direct Line. On both sites the part number for a 1990 petcock is the same as for a 1998 one. I think a rebuild kit for any 1990-2000 1500 would be the same. Probably the same all the way back to '88 but I didn't check back that far.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
All Goldwings up through the 1500 have petcocks. The 1500 is different in that it's automatically operated by vacuum and it's located on top of the tank forward of the filler neck.

Where ??? [clicky]

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Will the 1500 kit also fit the '84 GL1200?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Extracho - Nope, the 1200's petcock is much different.

Wingnumberone - Your bike looks quite a bit different around the fuel filler than mine does. The spill tray is different too. I'm attaching a drawing from Motogrid showing the vacuum petcock, item #4. The drawings at Honda Direct Line are the same for all years of 1500s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I've seen that sketch, and others like it - and both manuals I've checked show the petcock. My '88 just doesn't have it. The line from the fuel filter goes directly to the tee for the carbs. It looks like all factory line, too - like the valve was never there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I suspect a PO removed the valve. If you have a service manual, you should be able to trace where the vacuum line came from to operate the vacuum petcock.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

exavid wrote:
DrifterTex wrote:
Any other ideas?
I just looked up the part numbers for the petcock at Motogrid and Honda Direct Line. On both sites the part number for a 1990 petcock is the same as for a 1998 one. I think a rebuild kit for any 1990-2000 1500 would be the same. Probably the same all the way back to '88 but I didn't check back that far.
I have now ordered the 1988-1990 rebuild kit. Hope it works... I will post as soon as I get it rebuilt... Thanks for everything, guys.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,851 Posts
imported post

Another thread has been started on this problem here and it contains some parts and additional links. That thread mentions this thread as a reference because of the diagram up above.

I'm tying the two threads together for future readers.
John

2nd thread:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/77649-2.html

start reading at post 21 for the fix. Start reading at Post #1 for the symptoms, probably sounds like your problem if you are reading here.

Post #24 has the thread links and the parts needed to fix it.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Mine is leaking too. From the contents of the repair kit it looks like a diafram and spring, pretty easy fix. Have you done yours? Any tips? I just ordered my rebuild kit Friday.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

For all interested, a re-assembly procedure (got it from another wing site):

There is a trick to putting it back together. The first two pieces you want to join together are the two aft pieces, the end piece that the spring touches, and the piece that the large diaphragm rests on.
With the large diaphragm laying on the metal piece, lay it on a clean flat table. Place the spring on the diaphragm, the hold it firmly on the table and push the end piece down to seal the diaphragm. Since your holding it firmly against the table, the spring won’t push the diaphragm through the hole.
Now you have to lift that assembly off the table, holding it firmly together and mate it with the front piece. While holding everything together, put the screws in to hold everything in place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.