Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend of mine has this problemwith his Gl 1500.

Fill with gas, when riding, it acts as if it's running out of gas. Stops and opens gas cap and gets a big release of air and then puts the cap back on and he's off and running fine for a few miles then the whole thing repeats. He's getting inconsistent fuel flow to the carbs ... he's checked and cleaned the carb, checked the filter, which is fairly new, and hoses checked out. He's unsure about the auto fuel valve and doesn't know how to diagnose if it's the problem.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi deuce and welcome to the forum the cas cap is spring loaded to help vent the vacuum try leaving the cap loose to see will this solve the prob

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i think it works on the princable and i could be wrong if you insert a tube into a glass of water then put your finger over the top lift out the tube release your finger the water in the tube will flow out re if you have a strong vacuum in the gas tank it sucks against the fuel pump and the pump can not supply the carbs enough

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

But, he said he gets a big release of air. So, I took it as overpressure.

If there was a vacuum, I agree. And. maybe he should install the cap loosely.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The wooosh is air going INTO the tank.

The cap is vented, probably clogged up.

Could soak it in PB Blaster or similar.

Might have to get a new one.

Gord

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Most of the time, the whooosh of air is exiting the tank. I do not believe I have ever noticed the airgoing the other direction. Especially when my tank is empty and I fill up, and the same with my car(s). But then, I can not say that I have ever had a gas cap vent clog up except for my lawn mower which did exhibit fuel starvation.

Deuce Defender,tell us about the release of air?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.