Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi I am having a problem starting my 1979 gl 1000, when starter is pressed it fires but wont continue to run, I have checked everything but cant seem to find any problem, is there a rebiuld kit for Fuel Pump, or is there maybe another problem I am not seeing. the fuel is not getting to the carbs..

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Start at the pump take off the out put tube when you crank the engine or run it does fuel squirt out? use a bucket to catch it. If not could be clogged fuel lines in or out of the tank, clogged fuel filter..or bad pump. If you have flow then your carbs could need to be cleaned. Will it run if you raise the RPM's?

Have you check your plugs to see if they are wet or dry after you try to start it?

There is no rebuild kit for the pump. It can be done by replacing the diaphragm but finding material to replace it is the problem.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

If it dies immediately after releasing the start button you have a loose connection at the ballist resistor. Usuallymounted on the left coil.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

thx for the reply,i have removed the line from pump cranked the motor over and fuel does pump out from line. have checked other lines all have fuel, maybe problem is in Carbs.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Easy way to find out. Remove air cleaner spray carburetor cleaner in the plenum as it runs. If it keeps running, carb is problem. ( put fuel hose back on first)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

May besomething other than fuel. DingDong sounds like he's been there. Try his suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.