Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi !! , total newbie here, new to Goldwings , new to working on bikes and totally new to ever being on a forum so if I do something wrong please cut me some slack and maybe set me straight. Thank you. to start with a little info and all I know about the Wing, 1987 gl1200 with 74,000 miles very well taken care of cosmeticly (sharp) :jumper:

Now for the the bad, this bike has been garaged for at least 5 years with no movement, per the grandson who got the bike little more then a year ago and at that time drained the fuel tank and put in new fuel/plugs /fuel filter and he could not get it to run.

I bought this about 2 weeks ago with no clutch or brakes, I flushed the dark brown honey from clucth and brakes with dot4 and everything seems fine now, new final drive fluid, new oil, air filter, plugs, ok I know I will be told to change tires and timing belts at least but that is after I get it running, ok engine is super clean all hoses basicly look new even thou there not.

I can start the bike with choke when cold and with choke bring bike up to about 3600 rpms at any time, once warmed up it will idle at around 1000 rpms but not super smooth, try to throttle up and it wants to bog down , give it a little more and you can get it to hold at around 1800 rpms any more ar less throttle it bogs roughly third throttle and if your quick enough to get to 2/3 throttle you can get to about 2800 rpms( rough ) and give it full throttle and it will go to about 3500 rpms for about 4 second and bog (die off ) I have run about 1-1/2 bottles of seafoam thru at idle and if I adjust idle screw I can get it to idle at about 1600. so ther is 3 spot that you can get it to hold rpms, anything in between bogs

Don't know where to go, any help would be appreciated Thank you !!

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

That long of a sit without running is very likely going to require a total carb rebuild. The passages that are plugged can't get any of the seafoam into them to do any cleaning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.