Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a problem getting my fuel pump to mount back to the cylinder head. Can anyone tell what is going on here. See pics. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yea the little arm that rides the eccentric cam does not like to slide up over it. So unbolt the top part of the pump, take the arm and part with the diaphram out, bolt the base on first then install the top part.

Also the gear part needs to fit up in the housing of the base, it mates with the worm gear in the housing. Turns the eccentric cam, which operates the pump.

Kit

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The gear portion you are showing usually stays inside the cover that the fuel pump attaches to.

Take the fuel pump off & put the cover over the gear portion your showing. Put one bolt in to hold it in place.

When you go to put the fuel pump in, turn it sideways put it in the slot so the arm will touch the shaft & then turn it horizontal. Put the bolts in & then put the tack cable in & bolt it in place.

I had mine off a few times & the tack gear always stays inside the case not attached to the cam in the head. Something is not right. Hard to explain.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

spartacus502
Welcome to this great site!

Come on in and enjoy the great folks here!

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I can get the gear on, but it's like the oil seal on the cam isn't far in enough or something. I took the rockers back off to check and the seal is as far in as it is able to go. the picture that show the pump up against the cam is as far as i can get it on. I thought maybe the seal would push in if I tightened the bolts down. That was a 14.00 dollar mistake. the rim that protrudes from the gasket on the pump doesn't have anywhere to go right now, so i'm thinking maybe there's something wrong in the cam? Thanks for the replies so far, any help is appreciated.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well that is what I and cycleman tried to say but did not do a good job of saying it. The gear on the eccentric cam that we can see in the photo is out of place. It should be fit up into the housing and mated with the drive gear that you can see up in the left side of the housing, you cannot see it in the photo but it is there and that is what turns the cam.

Somehow it has slipped out of place and is too far forward.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Try rotating the housing while attempting to push it on wil minimal force. The pad of the arm that rides on the eccentric end has to find a null spot for it to go on properly. Once it is slid up to the back of the head then your can rotate it to a vertical allignment for the bolts to go in.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Another thing you can try. Use a small pair of needle nose pliers and grab onto the top tang ( in the housing )that goes up into the tack cable and move it clockwise & counterclockwise slightly while pushing the housing onto the part that stayed on the cam. This might help in lining up the gears.

Hard to explain in words.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

And I think what I did last time was pulled the plug wires and held the pump up there and bumped the starter a few times and it just about jumped on . The speedo gear has to line up right too. Bumping the starter will turn the cam a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.