Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone.

I appreciate the help I have received from this forum. I bought my 1984 GL1200 Interstate from the son of a biker who had passed away I have always wanted one and it is a big step up from the 1968 CB77 305 SuperHawk that I had in high school and college. The bike had been stored for sometime and would not start. The son had run a new battery down several times trying. And when I finally got her going with a lot of coaxing and fuel cleaners, the starter went out. I read about the engine needing to be removed in my Clymer manual. Thought about laying her on her side to remove it and hope to keep the gear in place. Ask Honda and they wanted $800 to replace. My engineer friend was going to help me cut the back left corner of the engine cover with a Dremel Drill to hold the gear in place. I read about the side stand method on this forum, and it worked great. It is hard to believe that the splines of the gear line up well enough. THANKS for the help with this and cutting my job to $175 for a new starter bought online.

She has 41000 miles on her and I have replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, but she still lacks power. Max speed is 80 mph. She back fires in the cylinder occasionally, especially below 2000 rpm. Leaving the choke on a little helps this, and the back firing has become less and less after I have run about 4-5 tanks of fuel clearner tanks through her. And when the tank is below 1/2 full she has only enough power to just idle, full her back up and the power is back. Thought of fuel pump, it tests at 600cc per minute with full tank, Clymer says to replace if less then 630cc. Could this be problem? Thought also of rebuilding carbs.

Hope to get her running stronger so I can really ride her.

Thanks again for the help with the starter and appreciate any help with this. Also enjoy reading the forums the commemoratory on here is great. So nice to read about others who love the occasionall wind in their face and all the joy of biking.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum eyeu81. Yes it sounds like the fuel pump is weak. And if the bike has sat around for a long time, I would also replace the fuel filter too. A carb rebuild couldn't hurt either.:D:waving:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Dear Gene,

Thanks for the help. Is it possible to rebuild the fuel pump? Or do you know good place to get for less then around $175 that I have seen on internet.

Thanks,

Rick

:jumper:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

As per the Honda manual:

Fuel Pump .

Turn the ignition switch off. Disconnect the fuel pump relay from the coupler under the ignition coils.
Short the white and black wire coupler terminals with a jumper wire.
Disconnect the fuel pump outlet line at the 3-way joint and hold a graduated beaker under the tube.
Turn the ignition switch on, let fuel flow into the beaker for 5 seconds, then turn the ignition switch off.
Multiply the amount in the beaker by 12 to determine the fuel pump flow capacity per minute.

Fuel Pump Minimum Flow: 500 cc (1 6.9 oz)lminut

Presumably you have changed the fuel filter, air filter etc

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Just a thought,

I had a similar problem and my 1200,fault ended up being failed ignition coils.

the fuel pump relay operates from the right coil, if the coil or pulse coil is failing this might prevent the pump from operating consistantly and may also be the cause of the backfire/low top speed.

disconnect the fuel pump at the connector by the filler cap and rig a power supply straight from the battery, the pump should run continualy, take the fuel measurement and if it's NOTwithin specs, I would look at the Fuel pump Relay (hidden under the coils) and check the ignition coils, measure the resistance of the coils, readings should be:-

primary(spade connector to spade) = 2.7ohms +or- 0.3

secondry(output to output) = between 20,100 and 27,900 ohms with plug-caps and Ht leads connected

secondry(output to output) = between 16,300 and 21,700 without leads and caps

any measurement outside of those above, even 0.1 out would mean the coil is failing

Hope it IS something simple and not expensive!

good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

eyeu81 wrote:
Hi Everyone.
Leaving the choke on a little helps this, and the back firing has become less and less after I have run about 4-5 tanks of fuel clearner tanks through her. And when the tank is below 1/2 full she has only enough power to just idle, full her back up and the power is back. Thought of fuel pump, it tests at 600cc per minute with full tank, Clymer says to replace if less then 630cc. Could this be problem? Thought also of rebuilding carbs.
Thanks again for the help with the starter and appreciate any help with this. Also enjoy reading the forums the commemoratory on here is great. So nice to read about others who love the occasinal wind in their face and all the joy or biking.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet eyeu81!:waving::waving:

When you tested the fuel flow did you have the fuel flowing through the fuel filter or directly from the pump? I'd replace the filter just because they're impossible to clean.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

eyeu81 wrote:
Dear Gene,

Thanks for the help. Is it possible to rebuild the fuel pump? Or do you know good place to get for less then around $175 that I have seen on internet.

Thanks,

Rick

:jumper:
The pump is not rebuildable, BikeBandit.com has it listed for $136.98. But I also agree with everyone else, change out the filter first and try that before you buy a pump.:)
Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

eyeu81 wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I appreciate the help I have received from this forum. I bought my 1984 GL1200 Interstate from the son of a biker who had passed away I have always wanted one and it is a big step up from the 1968 CB77 305 SuperHawk that I had in high school and college. The bike had been stored for sometime and would not start. The son had run a new battery down several times trying. And when I finally got her going with a lot of coaxing and fuel cleaners, the starter went out. I read about the engine needing to be removed in my Clymer manual. Thought about laying her on her side to remove it and hope to keep the gear in place. Ask Honda and they wanted $800 to replace. My engineer friend was going to help me cut the back left corner of the engine cover with a Dremel Drill to hold the gear in place. I read about the side stand method on this forum, and it worked great. It is hard to believe that the splines of the gear line up well enough. THANKS for the help with this and cutting my job to $175 for a new starter bought online.

She has 41000 miles on her and I have replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, but she still lacks power. Max speed is 80 mph. She back fires in the cylinder occasionally, especially below 2000 rpm. Leaving the choke on a little helps this, and the back firing has become less and less after I have run about 4-5 tanks of fuel clearner tanks through her. And when the tank is below 1/2 full she has only enough power to just idle, full her back up and the power is back. Thought of fuel pump, it tests at 600cc per minute with full tank, Clymer says to replace if less then 630cc. Could this be problem? Thought also of rebuilding carbs.

Hope to get her running stronger so I can really ride her.

Thanks again for the help with the starter and appreciate any help with this. Also enjoy reading the forums the commemoratory on here is great. So nice to read about others who love the occasinal wind in their face and all the joy or biking.
Eyeu81, at 600cc you are way better than the 500cc spec for the 84 1200..

You might want to look at the carb needle screens in the top of each carb needle seat.. OR, open each carb drain one at a time & allow it to drain completely.. THEN, run the fuel flow cc test through each carb bowl drain.. If it passes when flowed through EACH carb drain then your problem probably isn't fuel related but instead something else..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Dear Twisty,

My Clymer says 630cc per minute and I have seen 500cc on the internet and from other posts, as you have said. So my pump may be fine, if it is 500cc I did replace the filter before trying the flow and after measuring, I replaced the fuel line from the 3 way to the back carbs. The left had a small crack in it. That may have made a little improvement

I need to rebuid my carbs but I am procrastinating. I appeciate your other thoughts and will give them a try also.

Thanks,
Rick:clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds a lot like you're going to have to delve into the carbs. They ought to be cleaned every twenty years or so anyway. (humor) Might need to take a look at the airvalve too if it's backfiring, especially on throttle closure. Don't let your engineer friend get near your beauty with a Dremel, you don't need to cut on her to repair anything, that just makes a problem worse. The idea here is to have a nice, well running bike, not some poorcripple that's been butchered. There's a lot of guys who like to modify and change, but Honda did a fine job creating these great bikes and if we keep them close to the way Honda built them we'll have the great machine that brought us to the Wing in the first place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.