Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to know how long fuel pumps can last on the Wings. I am surprised mine is still going on an 88 Gl1500 with over 103k on it. I read about guys replacing theirs on a lot newer 1500's than mine.

I am thinking of just getting a new one and replacing it and maybe it will last another 23 years and outlast me.

Anyone havethe original fuel pumpas old as mine and as many miles?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I just replaced mine this past Feb. It had 106k on the clock. I created an issue with the fuel shutoff petcock. Rebuilt sloppily. Redid a second time and it worked properly for about six months. Then started starving the engine for fuel at idle so I bypassed it. That is the only nagging issue I have had with the bike since purchase 4 years ago. Oh yeah, I purchased my replacement fuel pump off Ebay. The seller makes the rebuild kits for about a third of what a new honda pump goes for. Mine is an 88 also

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
I just replaced mine this past Feb.. . . I purchased my replacement fuel pump off Ebay. The seller makes the rebuild kits for about a third of what a new honda pump goes for. Mine is an 88 also
I like to be prepared. . .
Any chance you have that Ebay URL for that pump kit? :?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

My mechanic installed a fuel pump purchased at NAPA intended for a Honda car. "The fuel pump can't tell it's not in a car" he said...;)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I found my install instructions. Will look a bit further for his email address. Looking on Ebay did not return anything. He has posted here on this forum in the past. Perusing my old emails from last feb. has not turned anything either. Will post when I find something. Sorry I am usually more organized than this.
David

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
My mechanic installed a fuel pump purchased at NAPA intended for a Honda car. "The fuel pump can't tell it's not in a car" he said...
Luxury items begets LUXURY prices.
Should be a law against that. :whip:

One thing to watch out for on fuel pumps isthe pressure. Way to many different ones out there.

I quick-scanned Ebay also earlier, nada.
Unless one likes to spend $200-$350.

:action:

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
imported post

The pump could and should last the life of the bike. Probably the main cause of failure is non use letting varnish and rust build up in the tank and pump.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Dave0430:
I think the lifetime of the bike would have to be defined. Comparing my 1500 to my last two pickups. Both my trucks had to have pumps replaced. Both trucks had in excess of 170k on their clocks when replaced. Both trucks were nearly half the age of the 1500 when they were replaced. What I have found is, electric pumps seem to pump or not pump when they go out with no warning in between.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Floyd, .... The seller's name is Robert and although a member here (Rebuild Guy), he hasn't posted in some time.

All reports of his kits that I have read have been positive and I had recently thought of contacting him for one of his kits, as well. Like you, I've had thoughts of obtaining one of his rebuilt kits (not cheap, but better than new price) andmy eBay searches have returned nada. Not sure if he is still selling them on eBay, privately, or not at all. :?

I'd appreciate if anyone finds out, to post their findings here so we all know what's up with him and his fuel pumps.

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

PM sent

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

PM. . . Goat'eet

Tho I don't need one, yet.

Now prepared.

Thanks

:action:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Can someone send me the e-mail address also? I might take the kit along on my Florida trip in April if it doesn't take up much room.
Thanks.
Petcock was leaking and replaced it with OEM a couple of years ago. Then i saw the $25 kit in JC Whitney. lol

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

I had to do my Fuel Pump at 100K approx.

The problem presented itself in primarily mid 90's bikes (95-97) however it is not limited to that vintage. I thing I read somewhere that Honda changed vendors and the subsequent new pump was not as good as the older versions.

The fella I got my pump kit from was R Perez of texas. he was almost out of pumps and kits when I got mine. He was unable to source new pumps as the supplier wanted a LARGE order to get them. It was unfeasible to order that number of pumps so he stopped making the kit.

Too bad really as it was an easy rebuild.

Others have tried a variety of pumps with some success however I do not have this information. Search the archives here and google it for additional reading. It can be done...

My word of advice is to seriously consider changing the fuel pump assembly gasket at the same time to assure a proper seal. Leaking gas is not a good thing (ask me).

The OEM pump is still available from Honda but it is about $350. They will only sell the entire assembly...

Look here for more information --> http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/119570.html

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Whatever you do, avoid the cheap ones. I went through two electric ones on my '79 in one year.
Yeah I know '79's have mechanical pumps but I thought I would be a smart guy and put a stainless blocking plate over the fuel pump hole in the engine. I put a $20 unit on and rode happily thinking I had saved a bunch of money. For about six months. It failed. I put a similar one on thinking by spending a little more money on one with a name brand I'd be good to go. It also worked for about six months. I put an OEM automotive one on and then sold the bike not long after. New owner seems to be doing well with it. Bottom line is that I could have gone back with factory for about the same money in the end but a lot less trouble. Being on a busy metropolitan expressway shoulder with a large motorcycle which does not run sucks a lot. These big bikes are hard to push for guys our age.

Hell, all bikes are hard to push for guys our age.

BTW, the older ones operate between 2-6 psi.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
Dave0430:
I think the lifetime of the bike would have to be defined. Comparing my 1500 to my last two pickups. Both my trucks had to have pumps replaced. Both trucks had in excess of 170k on their clocks when replaced. Both trucks were nearly half the age of the 1500 when they were replaced. What I have found is, electric pumps seem to pump or not pump when they go out with no warning in between.
I don't suppose those pickups were Hondas, I had to replace the pump in my 94 chevy at about 225,000 miles. Based on my Honda automobile experience, about 30 years, they almost never fail and I would assume the motorcycle pumps would be of similar quality.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

We had fuel pump problems with the 89 1500 trike last year, and put in an automobile fuel pump (NAPA) that was said to be the same GPM and PSI as the HONDA MC OEM pump. It lasted about 200 miles and it died. Couldn't get my $$ back because NAPA warrenty says replacement only AND no warrenty if used for "unintended purpose"....like on a motorcycle.
Ended up biting the bullet and buying an OEM from someone in Flordia.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dunno, my '93 had 170,000+ miles and the original pump was still going strong.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

KC9KAS wrote:
. . . Couldn't get my $$ back because NAPA warrenty says replacement only AND no warrenty if used for "unintended purpose"....like on a motorcycle.
Am I missing something?
Don't matter what vehicle it's in nor what brand of gas it is,it JUST pumps fuel.
Isn't fuel, fuel? :?
. . . like DUAH!

It'sthe same fuel whether it's in a car, truck or ina fuel efficient bike.

It's fuel being pumped by a fuel pump... for gosh-sakes.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

The fuel pump is cooled by sitting in the bottom of the gas tank. I'm thinking since we have smaller gas tanks, we ride to get every last mile between fill ups, & the tank sits just above the engine, that maybe all the heat generated in the tank is boiling our fuel pumps to an early demise. Just my $00.02....-Rich

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.