Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question regarding the fuel pump and mileage on my 1975 gl1000.

Bike was rebuilt over the summer ( tons of work but fun).

Have been trying to keep an eye on my mileage and seem to be getting less than 30 mpg on average usually round 28.

Carbs - rebuilt

new fuel filter

can't find any vaccum leaks

tank is clean (very) and petcock is working fine.

I have put new head gaskets on the bike (mostly for my own peice of mind) adjusted valves and synched the carbs. Bike runs really nice idles very well at between 900 -1000 rpm's.

fuel pump appears to be in good shape definatley not starving the motor of fuel LOL !!

I am told there are check valves in the fuel pump ? If so do these go bad and if so will they allow for excessive fuel consumption ?

Also will low compression contribute to poor fuel mileage ? as far as compression I have on average about 155 on all four cylinders.

On another note on 2 occasions my fuel gauge and my engine temp gauge shot through the roof ( while cruising) stayed that way for about a minute or 2 then returned to normal. Could this be caused by the low voltage regulator and if I am not mistaken that is the silver rectangular shape device behind the left side cover correct ?

Appreciate any input

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Plugs look good not too clean but not black either. will start without the choke but starts better with it. Runs fine at idle afterabout 5 minutes. Seams to have decent throttle response. about 2 weeks ago i had an issue with the bike feeling like it was bogging down or choking as I reached speeds between 60 - 70 open up the throttle and it would take a sec but would take off. I had 2 issues at that time I knew I had to deal with

1. - dragging front brake caliper (fixed)

2. - when i rebuilt the carbs i deformed the secondary nozzles removing them by not being careful !! duh so i figure i would just take the tiniest drill bit from my dremel and slean em up ! wrong i opened 'em up too much so that eas my main issue. got replacement and fixed that issue so no more bogging down .smooth throttle from 0 - 80 or better.

My air/fuel mixture screw is set at 1 1/2 turns out ? Is it safe to go leaner with out do any major harm ?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

eyeore302000 wrote:
Have been trying to keep an eye on my mileage and seem to be getting less than 30 mpg on average usually round 28.
this is a performance bike but should get a little better than that. My advice, fill the tank, reset the odo, ride as you do, enjoy, after 150 miles fill up again then calc your mpg
I am told there are check valves in the fuel pump ? If so do these go bad and if so will they allow for excessive fuel consumption ?
first I heard about this, Randakk has an electric one if you feel like swapping out, I have one on mine.
Also will low compression contribute to poor fuel mileage ? as far as compression I have on average about 155 on all four cylinders.
155 on all four is very good
On another note on 2 occasions my fuel gauge and my engine temp gauge shot through the roof ( while cruising) stayed that way for about a minute or 2 then returned to normal. Could this be caused by the low voltage regulator and if I am not mistaken that is the silver rectangular shape device behind the left side cover correct ?
this prolly your 7 volt regulator going bad
nice Lesters ? you got there

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Is the 7 volt regulator the silver rectanguler device to the left of the reserve lighting device behind the left side false tank cover ?

·
Administrator
26,354 Posts
imported post

Check the timing again.
The float levels are critical to good fuel economy and performance. They have to be spot on.
The 7 volt regulator for the gauges is built into the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

It's a '75 so the 7 volt gizmo is under the left shelter cover. Fluctuating gauges is a sign that it's failing. If it fails and allows 12 volts to the gauges you'll fry the gauges. Either here or over at NGWClub there is a schematic on how to build your own 7 volt regulator if you're so inclined.
Mileage should be around 34 or so. Your right wrist has a lot of bearing on that. Check that the choke is opening all the way and check again for dragging brakes. The mileage problem could be related to jetting but they'd have to be way off to drop it to 28. You may have to re-visit your carb rebuild. Letting it idle for a long time before riding can affect mileage as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.